New Regulations for the Slaughter of poultry Jan 2013

• 4 Replies

kegs

New Regulations for the Slaughter of poultry Jan 2013
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:50 »
Does anyone know what the new regulations will mean for those of us who dispatch birds for the table?  It was mentioned in a recent edition of Practical Poultry mag which said that there will be implications for anyone with poultry over 5kg but that was all.  I've tried to make sense of the following info on Defra but still can't work it out.

"Regulation EU 1099/2009 introduces new arrangements for slaughter licences from 1 January 2013."
http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/welfare/slaughter/

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:303:0001:0030:EN:PDF

On Page 19 of 30 it says

"5   Cervical dislocation
     Manual or mechanical stretching and twist of the neck provoking cerebral ischemia.
     Poultry up to 5 kg live weight.
     See Point 3.  Manual cervical dislocation shall not be used on animals of more than three kg live weight."

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: New Regulations for the Slaughter of poultry Jan 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 15:46 »
its basicly the same as before : as long as you are not causing the chicken any distress and are humainly despatched, and the animal is for your own consuption then the new rules were intended to simplfy the law regarding the subject, and to the make such practices of halal killing ilegle, unless done by a profetional  :blink:
Chicken crazy

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:33 »
Ih Kegs, after quickly reading through it, the ruling applies specificaly to slaughter houses as far as i can see.

However the points that you highlight are basically saying that poultry up to 5kg (11lbs) live weight can be killed using cervical dislocation without prior electrical stunning.  those birds between 3 and 5kg should ne by killed by manual dusclocation, but rather with the aid of an apparatus (such as a humane dispatcher).

for birds over 5kg, as far as I can see, they would been to be electrically stunned first, before the neck is broken.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:00 »
Thanks Casey.  That's what I was worried about.   :( 

The article in Jan 2012’s Practical Poultry says “Recent scientific studies provide clearer evidence of the best methods to adopt, from a welfare perspective, and this will be reflected in changes in the slaughter regulations due to take effect early in 2013.  This is an important aspect……as it has wider implications for all poultry keepers who slaughter birds weighing over 3kg, be they intended for personal consumption or for commercial sale.”

As it’s 3kg live weight that means sometime before 2013 I’ll have to spend £369 on a wall mounted stunner for any larger birds (unless there's a cheaper version anyone can tell me about)!   :(

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 13:04 »
Switch to bantams... or learn to love poussin ;)

For birds between 3 and 5kg you will be OK with using a humane dispatcher, but over that you will need a stunner.

Unless you are thinking turkeys, I can't imagine many chickens getting to 5kg live weight.  If they are, you maight want to consider slaughtering sooner, at 10-12 weeks rather than 14-16 weeks (for meat hybrids).

xx
How to slaughter turkeys humanely?

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 15:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Poultry ark

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 20:04
by Andy J
xx
The joy of poultry

Started by kizza on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 11:42
by Huswyf

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 37 queries.