What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2012, 20:25 »
Another couple of pleasant hours at the lottie (not as sunny as previous days but still warm).
Spread a top dressing of sulphate of ammonia around the apples and pears and then mulched around them with well rotted manure.
Also mulched around the rhubarb.

Then moved the recent delivery of manure from by the gate to one side where I had my midden last year.

It's all looking good on the plot and looks owned  :)  which sadly some don't on the field. More look to have fell by the wayside. Sad  :(
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2012, 21:40 »
Hi Digg..... the wooden thing ( can't thing what to call it )   just call it a raised wooden frame!!   :D  :D

You were busy today - well done.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2012, 21:44 »
Hi Digg..... the wooden thing ( can't thing what to call it )   just call it a raised wooden frame!!   :D  :D

You were busy today - well done.. 

:D :D :D

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2012, 15:46 »
I added vermiculite to my de-stoned parsnip trench. A trench I thoroughly de-stoned Friday only to find yet more pebbles in today. I suspect foul play, though it was dark when I finished doing it.

Emmie

« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2012, 15:57 »
Finally managed to put the door on my brassica cage ( old metal polytunnel frame now covered in netting to keep pidgeons at bay).
My mate has just got a run down plot next to me so we spent alot of time burning rubbish and clearing behind his shed, we then proceeded to cover the back of the shed with plastic to stop further water damage and put up some guttering to divert rain water into a waterbutt (from my plot,so I have lost a water butt and gained a good neighbour).

mattwragg94

« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2012, 16:00 »
washed some trays and pots and check on the plants in the greenhouse.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2012, 17:13 »
A busy day today, woke up to sunshine which was a bit of a surprise, not as forecast, though it soon changed to the forecast. But nevertheless it tempted me out into the g/house and did some sowing.

The Spring Onions ' var - Kyoto Market' were sown 4/5 seeds per cell which are cut in strips from a large tray of cells that I get for 50p each from the local nursery (they sell off the trays that the plug plants come in that they pot on).
These will stay in the unheated g/house.

Likewise I sowed some Lettuce 'Reine de Glace', I have settled on a pattern over the last few years of sowing batches of 9 cells (1 seed each) usually so I don't end up with a glut at any time (doesn't always work but hey ho!).
Transfered indoors to germinate.

Also sowed some Leeks in the raised bed at home ('Monstreux de Charentan and Bleu de Solaise' and then as the rain had stopped, I devised a mini cloche utilising an old cordial bottle, an offcut of wood and 2 tent pegs!  :D

And whilst it rained, I went off on the other chores, namely shopping at Sainsburys and called in at the Nursery on the way home to add to the Onion sets (Sturon), Shallots (Golden Gourmet and Picasso - a new trial one) and some more Seed Spuds (Vanessa and Kestrel). Oh and some pruning paint as well.

All in all a busy day and successful   :D  :D
PICT0008.jpg
PICT0009.jpg
PICT0011.jpg

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2012, 19:01 »
hi dig it i do like your mini cloche will make some tomorrow  :D

thanks gib it and gavin for reminding me that it was called a raised wooden frame  :blush:
op's that was ment to be (can't think what to call it ) 
i was very very tired  :wacko:

today don some shopping with my sis tried to get a greenhouse heater and some more pink paint all soiled out  :(
but did get more W clips and Z clips for the greenhouse and 4 pains of glass £30  :mellow:
then in the rain we fitted the glass
all that need doing is the door now hubby going to do it tomorrow as i can not seem to get it to fit in to the runners  :blink:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2012, 19:10 »
Popped down to plot in sunshine and dug over bed for my onions.
Got home just before the heavens opened.
At least ready for planting one crop. Broad beans look a bit sad though.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2012, 19:15 »
hi dig it i do like your mini cloche will make some tomorrow  :D

thanks gib it and gavin for reminding me that it was called a raised wooden frame  :blush:
op's that was ment to be (can't think what to call it ) 
i was very very tired  :wacko:

today don some shopping with my sis tried to get a greenhouse heater and some more pink paint all soiled out  :(
but did get more W clips and Z clips for the greenhouse and 4 pains of glass £30  :mellow:
then in the rain we fitted the glass
all that need doing is the door now hubby going to do it tomorrow as i can not seem to get it to fit in to the runners  :blink:

What I will say about the mini cloche was, it wasn't very easy cutting the plastic bottle in half. Cutting through the base proved a bit of a struggle, I needed a hacksaw!. Scissors did the sides ok.

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2012, 19:54 »
thanks bigit for the advice
i think these will stay put longer the one were i just cut the bottom off they seem to blow away with a little it of wind  ::)

daybreak

« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2012, 22:47 »
Had a good few days on the allotment, finished the potato bed, started another bed and cut the start of a central path and added a couple of barrow loads of wood chip. I looked at the corner of the allotment with Japanese Knot Weed and made a note to myself to email the allotment manager asap.

Spring cabbage and onions looking good but lost 3 beans to the snow and frost we've had recently, bit randon because the others look really good, fleeced them just for the weekend as we have some more frost forecast.

AnneB

« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54 »
First visit to the plot for 3 weeks after returning from holiday.  Timing perfect this year, missed all the snow.   

Beautiful sunny day.

Plot quite waterlogged and frozen at the bottom.  Had to put back the red onions pulled up by the birds - they have ignored the white ones for some reason.   Harvested leeks, cabbage etc.  Forgot to bring the shallots to plant, left them in the porch.  Have come home for cup of coffee and will return, this time with the shallots, plus some debris netting to protect said onions / shallots.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2012, 15:12 »
had a very good day on my allotments emptied the compost bins over some of the raised beds ,finished weeding and topping up the rest that plot all done bar a bit of mowing hopefully Monday .
second plot turned all the plot over now and added manure on parts that need it ,checked soil pH , and sown pea's cabbage's leek's more onion's in modules checked sweet pea's they doing well in root trainers all in all a good day  :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2012, 15:47 »
Had a good day down the lottie myself after 3 weeks away due to bad weather and the Monday to Friday 9-5 grind.

Got two 4' by 10' beds dug out from scratch including removing all the grass that was on top, and all the roots that were below (well all the ones I could see anyway; doubtless several have got away, they always do!) Also rough dug a 10' x 8' patch that will be de-rooted and down to a fine tilth hopefully on Thursday and Friday when I have a couple of extra days off.

The boy earnt his pocket money by weeding out some grass seedlings that had dared to try to grow on the already prepared patches. He hoed, raked and weeded three 4' by 10' patches and two 8' by 10' patches as well as putting Growmore down on all of those beds plus the ones I finished today. Then he did the same to the Rhubarb patch just for good measure!

Roll on Thursday and Friday!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 37 queries.