What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

jmc1949

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1560 on: June 18, 2012, 14:45 »
Weeded a couple of beds this morning and strimmed the paths.

Yana

« Reply #1561 on: June 18, 2012, 22:35 »
Put in runner beans (atlast), perpetual spinach, Swiss chard silver and bright lights. Tidied up climbing French beans, weeded Beetroot in desperate hope that this will encourage it to grow a bit more.
Want to see if potatoes are ready but don't want to be disappointed if the are not.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1562 on: June 19, 2012, 07:24 »
Harvested our last three caulis on Sunday, cleared the bed and dug it over.

Planted out the celery and celeriac at last, and have space for sowing more beetroot, but forgot to take the packet of seeds with me   ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1563 on: June 19, 2012, 16:28 »
Weeded the onion, shallot and leek bed, planted a pumpkin and dug a few home guard spuds
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

hen maiden

« Reply #1564 on: June 19, 2012, 20:09 »
A lot of watering. After getting soaked on Thursday evening, today when I went everything was bone dry. Hoping the seeds I sowed last week haven't died due to lack of moisture . Harvested some early potatoes, lovely and creamy, some little slugs in one or two. Sowed some radish and spring onions on tape.Covered my little french bean plants with cloches in hopes of bringing them on a bit, scattered some slug pellets to help protect baby sweetcorn as well. Did a lot of weeding as always.

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #1565 on: June 19, 2012, 20:12 »
Mulched the runner beans, french beans and asparagus with home made compost, hoping this will help the beans as they still look quite sorry for themselves, albeit a bit brighter after two 'rain free' days! Also went round with the little blue pellets as a few things are being eaten without consent.

My little ones planted their potato plants, given to them on an open farm day - Wilja I believe, only the 2 plants and quite late going in but we'll see what happens to them!

Just looked at the grass around the beds as still waiting for a strimmer to arrive - ordered from Tesco's and trying not to bet on it arriving when the weathers bad!! In the meantime, the grass is pretty overgrown.  :(

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1566 on: June 19, 2012, 21:14 »
Erected a green house. as given a green house which had to be dismantled and transported to the 'acres'.
It was part dismantled so was difficult to tell how it went exactly. Got it just about finished - frame that is. There seems to be a bottom runner missing from the door and can I get the window into the slot/runner can I heck as like. So will be on the phone to previous owner about the missing bit and try the window again tomorrow with some lubricant and an extra apir of hands. Then there is the glass Ho Hum. It'll be ready for winter!
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

snowdrops

« Reply #1567 on: June 19, 2012, 21:36 »
Dug yet more mares tail out of the onion bed & planted 2 trays of onions out. Late I know but they stand more chance in the plot than in the trays at home + they were grown from seed.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1568 on: June 19, 2012, 22:14 »
Yesterday: Emptied one of my compost heaps at home which consists of rotted down chicken bedding and chipped tree prunings.  Managed to fill a couple of trugs and a couple of compost bags with well rotted compost for one of the lasagne beds.  I then luckily managed to snaffle some lawn clippings that had been delivered by the local landscaper.  They are now waiting on the new plot for me to get up there and set to work.
Today: Cleared out the loft, didn't find what I was looking for but I did come across some old flatpacked packing boxes which I can use to cover the last two lasagne beds!  I then emptied another compost heap at home and filled four more trugs with compost - guess where they are going tomorrow?!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 22:20 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #1569 on: June 20, 2012, 02:36 »
Yesterday finished digging the new Kitchen Garden veg patch at my parents new bungalow.

Hoping my father will agree to a quick nip to the end of the garden in his wheelchair so he can have a look and advise on what to put where - it gives him a bit of an interest in life.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1570 on: June 20, 2012, 13:28 »
Fed tomato, asparagus, courgette, pumpkin, cucumber, squash and brassica plants.
Did some weeding.
Sowed some rocket, salad, spring onions seeds.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1571 on: June 20, 2012, 14:58 »
Watered some unhappy looking tomato plants which I've neglected for two days. Weeded the pea bed and found some sugar snap pea pods already. The plants aren't even a foot high yet. Picked some curly kale for my dinner, retrained the runnerbeans up some string as they'd decided to curl round the central pole. Planted out the rest of my sweetcorn and gave everything a good water. A productive day. Must tackle the grassy part of the plot though.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1572 on: June 20, 2012, 17:05 »
mowed and strimed both plots before the rain is meant to come then pulled up all my winter onion's a very good crop this year ,
planted out 40 winter cauliflower's and 12 purple sprouting
 dug over incorporating plenty of muck were rest of my winter greens are going to go ,
pulled some carrots and dug up some new spuds and picked loads and loads of peas never had such a good crop , runner beans not doing as well as they should be but same all over allotments this year . :( :(
keep allotments alive grow your own

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1573 on: June 20, 2012, 20:12 »
The local authority forestry team delivered some bark chips today, so I barrowed some to my old plot, and a couple of barrows to the new plot to cover the weed suppressant on the paths.

I moved more hm compost from home up to the new plot ready to top off the lasagne beds when I get a chance.  I topped lasagne bed #3 which already had cardboard and manure on it, with newspaper and grass clippings.  I then started off #4 with the cardboard from the loft and topped this with grass clippings.

Nice to see the strawberries going red at last and spotted a few beans on my french beans.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1574 on: June 20, 2012, 20:32 »
took up the plastic that's covered the unwanted grass path since autumn. All seemed dead, dug it over and removed any long roots I found just in case ;)

Put up a hazel wigwam and planted the tromba d'Albegna squash to grow up it. Planted some more squash as the slugs ate the first lot, put down some pellets of death this time, so fingers crossed. Pulled up some garlic to dry in the shed.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 38 queries.