What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

morbidia

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1260 on: May 15, 2012, 23:47 »
Went to the plot late today because I thought I had better tidy my garden :) I finished digging all the visible Marestail out of the soil in the raised bed ( I know there is more lurking underneath but that will get its comeuppance later) then my daughter arrived after work to help with more digging and weeding, we also decided to move the raised bed instead of getting rid of it, so it is now in a better position, its actually in pieces because I didn't know my own strength and pulled it apart.
 I am going back tomorrow to put it back together and to continue with the digging and weeding.I also found a black plastic dustbin that I had forgotton about behind my shed at home,so seeing as it doesn't have any holes I took it to the plot to use as a water butt, we also have a piece of guttering that was just lying in the middle of the plot so I am going to see if I can rig it up to the shed to collect the rain when it comes back

I got suckerd into buying three tomato plants today from Wilkinsons, they were looking a bit sorry for themselves and badly needed watering but they all had flowers and two have tomatos just appearing so I rescued them to plant at home, they are on my kitchen window sill and have preked right up after being watered :D

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1261 on: May 16, 2012, 14:23 »
Dug out a lot of bramble and nettle root from behind my shed which I finished painting today. Now cleared a space to build some compost bins. See frugal living for the rest of the story
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

RuthLG

« Reply #1262 on: May 16, 2012, 14:52 »
Created deep bed #3, dug over the soil within, added 140 ltr compost. Moved a pile of soil that is in the way for the next bed. Cleared some more of the nettle patch - it's going to take ages, as the nettles are very matted, but hubby is helping and doing a great job.

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1263 on: May 16, 2012, 15:32 »
weeding and more weeding and even more weeding, and some earthing up of pots.  spring garlic doing well

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1264 on: May 16, 2012, 15:44 »
Tried to do a little more earthing up, but it's all sliding down the sides, the mounds are already so tall  ::)

Pretty much all that's growing is the grass on the paths :dry:

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1265 on: May 16, 2012, 16:26 »
plant out sprouts, broccoli, beetroot seedlings all under poly tunnel or plastic pop bottles
picked lettuce 2 lovely ones for tea
watered greenhouse twice as tom's do like to drink  :ohmy:
hoed potatoes lots of weeds  :(
2 cups of tea in the sun lovely  :D

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1266 on: May 16, 2012, 16:53 »
planted out red cabbages to there final place started off some winter cauliflowers and purple sprouting sowed some more french beans can never have enough of them and runners of course had a little chat here and there a few cups of tea to go with it and then home really good day well happy :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1267 on: May 16, 2012, 17:44 »
hammered a raised bed together out of the various planks I have, which had been stacked behind my shed, but had somehow made their way onto my new neighbour's plot, to weigh down the tarp he's covered it with. Not sure he quite understands about boundaries yet (personal or plot type) as he also tends to just walk onto my plot and appear in my polytunnel and just watch what I'm doing. Getting the fence up next week should resolve that problem lol.

Sowed some peas in with the ones I'd raised at home and planted out ten days ago. They have been battered by the wind and most are broken, despite having string round the canes to encourage them to grow up.

Watered all the toms and beans in the polytunnel which was boiling hot when I arrived. Lit a couple of candles in it when I left and am glad I did as the temp has dropped a lot in the last hour. Covered the beans up with a fleece too, but the toms will just have to manage.

Incidentally I cycled to the plot today. It's the first time I've been on a bike in over 20 years and was a bit scary on the roads but cut down the journey from 20 mins to 5 mins. This time last year I had a gastric bypass and have lost 9 stone. I am now a healthy weight and feeling great. There is absolutely no way I could have worked an allotment last year. I had to sit down after just walking for a few mins. Now I come home feeling nicely tired after swinging a mattock around or digging for a couple of hours. Feels Fab!

wneva

« Reply #1268 on: May 16, 2012, 18:41 »
Another visit to see if the potatoes have appeared yet.  I planted 40 or so Swift in mid April - I reckon it's now nearly 5 weeks - and so far only one is showing in any businesslike way, and another two have pushed up a couple of tiny leaves to see what's happening, and then nothing.  The rest - nix, nix, nix.

Old Jim on the top plot suggests I lay some fleece over the bed, to warm up the soil.  He said he did this and his spuds have come through quite strongly.  Has anyone any other ideas?

I did stick a spade in the ground to see if there's any action going on down there, but didn't find anything.  I didn't like to dig any sizeable area.

The rest of the plot is doing OK.

mattwragg94

« Reply #1269 on: May 16, 2012, 19:01 »
just dug over another bramble/grass/tree infestered patch, also turned the compost bins and added some leaf multch (i had put it in bags - but it didn't seem to be doing much).

oh and i also put some more twine around the BB's as they where swaying in the wind :lol:

RuthLG

« Reply #1270 on: May 16, 2012, 19:58 »
Spent the early evening edging deep bed #4 (well Hubby did most of the work) and cutting down the next block of nettles (including the yelloed ones  :D)

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #1271 on: May 16, 2012, 21:43 »
Planted three more rows of carrots and a row of beetroot.

My other carrots and parsnips that I planted a month ago look like the might have swam away.  Still no sign of them :(
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1272 on: May 16, 2012, 21:45 »
Transfered a whole load of stuff to harden off in the cold frame at the lottie and potted on my butternut squashes, pumpkins and the like. Oh and started to chit more sweetcorn as most of the original lot didn't suvive last night  :(
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1273 on: May 16, 2012, 23:26 »
Rebuilt the raised bed today and and dug out more weeds, had a chat to one of my plot neighbours and he has offerd me some Butternut squash plants which was nice of him :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #1274 on: May 17, 2012, 08:33 »
Yesterday I went to the plot at 7pm when I had free time and planted 10 calabrese.  :)

Covered them over to disappoint the pigeons.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 38 queries.