Try Something Different

• 57 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Try Something Different
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 15:13 »
I am also doing yellow beetroot, I'm not keen on the purple/red stuff as it is just too..well, purple.
Also i'm trying courgette 'Zephyr' which looks like a pale green courgette that's had its end dipped in custard.
I'm also trying celery, even though I've had very little success with celeriac, and I'm giving that one more try as well.
Also swiss chard, the plain white kind.
I have double the space this year as i have just moved to a full plot, so can afford to experiment a bit more.
Rachael

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43 »
I fancy Chinese Celery, does anyone have a good seed supplier for this, and indeed other unusual crops?

I got some last year from this lot http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/search.asp

Germinated well and has a good flavour but mine were a bit spindly.  Probably because of lack of water as I struggled to water the plot enough at times last year  ::)  :)

My fave unusual veg seed supplier is this one http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 12:05 »
I am also doing yellow beetroot, I'm not keen on the purple/red stuff as it is just too..well, purple.
Also i'm trying courgette 'Zephyr' which looks like a pale green courgette that's had its end dipped in custard.
I'm also trying celery, even though I've had very little success with celeriac, and I'm giving that one more try as well.
Also swiss chard, the plain white kind.
I have double the space this year as i have just moved to a full plot, so can afford to experiment a bit more.

Lucky you...enjoy it ..I'm green with envy  ;)

gobs

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 12:14 »

Am I right in thinking that kohl rabit don't need much soil depth? I'm looking for things that I can put in 6" depth beds. And do rabbits go after them?

Just read up about Kohlrabi and it does say they are shallow rooted and need about 8" soil depth therefore you will be able to grow them in your beds but perhaps on 2" mounds to give them the correct depth. It says they are also good for container growing so I may give them a try. Now what do you do with it once its ready for cropping?  :wacko:

[edited to fix quote]

Clean and chop. If anything left at this stage, cook as roots, use in soups, stews or as a side veg. Grate into salads and makes a decent soup by its own self: marjoram, soured cream. don't use with other sweet veg - peas, parsnip - feels like pudding stew.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Christine

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 14:12 »
Chinese Gooseberries (physalis) are on my list of new to me along with Welsh Onions, Egyptian flat beet and a range of squash. I'm not doing most of the brassica family this year (lets except swede and beetroot) so there is a bit more room for different things.

My khol rabi will be purple ones as well as the usual colour for a change.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 15:34 »
I understood Kiwi Fruit to be a Chinese Gooseberry, whereas Physalis is a Cape Gooseberry.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 15:59 »
And neither are a gooseberry. And it has nothing to do with Cape Horn, though the kiwi is at least from China.

The Egyptian beetroot is neither Egyptian, nor flat. And of course, not a brassica.

It does grow a bit like khol-rabi, in that it carries the swollen root above the ground.

It is easy to get confused. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 16:01 »
You've certainly managed that!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 16:19 »

Just read up about Kohlrabi and it does say they are shallow rooted and need about 8" soil depth therefore you will be able to grow them in your beds but perhaps on 2" mounds to give them the correct depth. It says they are also good for container growing so I may give them a try. Now what do you do with it once its ready for cropping?  :wacko:

Try it sliced and then shallow-fried with bacon etc

edited to fix faulty quote
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 16:23 by DD. »

BabbyAnn

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 16:56 »

Kohl rabi is quite versatile - cook it like a turnip, or shred it raw like a cabbage.  Has similar brassica flavour.

My something different is oca (thanks to earlier thread  :blink:) 

Swiss Chard (bright lights) because it looks pretty  :lol:

oh it is pretty - the reds, pinks, orange and yellow stems are stunning.  Shame I don't really like eating it, but it wouldn't look out of place in a flower garden

gobs

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 17:16 »

Kohl rabi is quite versatile - cook it like a turnip, or shred it raw like a cabbage.  Has similar brassica flavour.

My something different is oca (thanks to earlier thread  :blink:) 

Swiss Chard (bright lights) because it looks pretty  :lol:

oh it is pretty - the reds, pinks, orange and yellow stems are stunning.  Shame I don't really like eating it, but it wouldn't look out of place in a flower garden

Try to use just the yellow and pink ones, milder flavour. Cheesy bake with a lot of garlic, even the kids like it.

gobs

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 18:07 »
You've certainly managed that!

It's nothing to do with me. In another thread we have no else, but 'gooseberry buses'.

Hehe.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 20:04 »
Im going to give soya beans a go this year?! Not sure how they will do but like you I do enjoy trying new things. Khol rabi are on the list as well!!

There will be 1 or 2 other things but still browsing for ideas  :)

gobs

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 20:14 »
I did think of them soya beans, however, we do not like them much, so I might go for lentils this year, at least we are all suckers for that. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 20:21 »
Are Chinese Gooseberries the same as Kiwi Fruit?

Indeed. I have some seed, but never got around to sowing them last year, must remember this year.

I thought kiwi fruit/chinese goosegog is Actinidia? Vietta I think means cape gooseberries?

Cape gooseberries are tall plants with velvety leaves and yellow fruit inside cases like chinese lanterns. Well worth growing if you have enough space under cover  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 1.069 seconds with 30 queries.