Poundland Bargains

• 32 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Poundland Bargains
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26 »
Ah, I think I was referring to the weed control sheet albeit my memory is that it was plastic. 

I haven't recently seen the mulch sheet so can't comment on it.  All I would say is to be careful because at £1 a pop the plastic quality will still be fairly poor.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 11:49 »
I was told a poundland had opened on our local shopping park, so after work I toddled over there to find......Poundworld!

No gardening stuff, but still managed to spend £9 :lol:

brown thumb

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59 »
i agree the weed repressant fabric is like tissue paper as i bought a load last year its still in the shed i also bought loads of plastic tunnels when the plastic tore i covered the hoops in their netting to keep birds away which was ideal

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 21:36 »
Just been to the Poundland in town and they seem to have their gardening stock in. Have some really good deals it would seem on things like Potato and Tomato grow sacks (the tarpaulin variety), Swift seed potatoes (8 tubers), Onion and Shallot sets in 300g bags, 1.5m cloche tunnels and  5m x 1.2m D.P.M. all for a pound funnily enough.

Have had a look at the website, and it seems that there is a much broader range available, so will take a look at the big 'out of town' store tomorrow to see what else I can grab. Here's a link if anyone wants to take a peek...

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/grow-your-own--potato-grow-bag/

Also, on a side note I noticed that Wilkos seem to have their seed on display now, and seems very reasonably priced.

Are you sure only a pound  :D :D. will have a look at the seed pots/shallots  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 23:58 »
Ah, I think I was referring to the weed control sheet albeit my memory is that it was plastic. 

I haven't recently seen the mulch sheet so can't comment on it.  All I would say is to be careful because at £1 a pop the plastic quality will still be fairly poor.

Yorkie, since reading this here thread on Poundland bargains and the mulch/weed membranes I've been trying to have a nosey on the 'bay of E' and visited a couple of DIY stores looking at this stuff since.  There are so many different kinds...I'm a bit confused as to what I need now, would you be able to advise me on which to get?  I was going to start a new thread but seeing as we had chatted here about the quality of the poundland ones I thought I'd just see what you recommended.  Hope you won't mind. (sorry to the original poster)

I need it for my paths, they're only narrow so I think the 1M wide will be fine. I've no idea how long I need it to be just yet, I bet you soon cover a fair bit going round beds etc... but it's the weight of the fabric I'm unsure of...do I just need the light weed suppressing membrane or the heavy duty type?  I do hope you can help  :) a several inches of wood chippings will be lay on the top of it and it's only light traffic on our allotment, well, I'd never discribe myself as LIGHT in all honesty but you know what I mean, hee hee.

Love you long time.
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15 »
Claire, this isn't in the league of a poundland bargain, but we use Plantex for narrow stretches of weed suppressing on paths and inside the polytunnel. In the polytunnel we have woodchips on top of it, but I should think its strong enough to take stones on top.

Hope this helps. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 17:00 »
I just found out there's a Poundland not ten minutes from me. Guess where I'll be tomorrow morning?  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 20:40 »
I'm not sure what weight my fabric is, but it's much more like the plantex than the thin weed fabric.  It is woven thick plastic type material which has lasted several years as paths without covering.

impossible5072

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 23:48 »
According to our local paper our town is turning into Poundland we have loads of £1 shops including pound land pound stretcher pound pie shop (I like that one 2 pies for a £1 lol) we also have a home bargains B & MS who both have quite a good garden range every year, thank you for letting me know though will be getting some shallots for sure B :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27 »
According to our local paper our town is turning into Poundland we have loads of £1 shops including pound land pound stretcher pound pie shop (I like that one 2 pies for a £1 lol) we also have a home bargains B & MS who both have quite a good garden range every year, thank you for letting me know though will be getting some shallots for sure B :D

Surely that's a 50p pie shop then  ;) :D

impossible5072

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 14:24 »
Ha ha but they wont let you by one that's the catch lol and you cant have a cake and a pie even though they are two for a £1.00 too but it has pushed greggs price down to 49p and you can just by one ha ha but i'd rather have a nice bit of veg he he.  Pulled some teeny parsnips some tatties and a some carrots going to make a chicken and mushroom pie for tea with some pretty veggies.

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 18:21 »
Went in today and got some Red Baron onion sets and Golden Gourmet shallot sets (both of which were in my plans anyway this year), some slug pellets, two lots of pea netting and twine. Was tempted by the seed spuds (Pentland Javelin), but they looked a bit on the weeny side for me and were already sprouting so I figured I'd wait until the end of the month, and see what's available then.

Trikidiki

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 23:20 »
.......Was tempted by the seed spuds (Pentland Javelin), but they looked a bit on the weeny side for me and were already sprouting ........

Ready chitted.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 00:20 »
They also sell mealworm for £1.99 :)

Doesn't that break their pricing strategy?  :D

Cheaper in Home Bargains, think it is currently just over £1.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

savbo

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 09:36 »
Ha ha but they wont let you by one that's the catch lol and you cant have a cake and a pie even though they are two for a £1.00 too but it has pushed greggs price down to 49p and you can just by one ha ha but i'd rather have a nice bit of veg he he.  Pulled some teeny parsnips some tatties and a some carrots going to make a chicken and mushroom pie for tea with some pretty veggies.

having had a chicken pasty from the £1 shop and a day or two later one from greggs, I can report a statistically significant difference in the amount and size of chicken pieces between the two...

was in Wigan yesterday so had to have a pie, went to Greenhalgh.s and paid 1.45 - but what a pie...

:)

xx
Some good bargains if you have a Poundland...

Started by nipper31 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 16:45
by mumofstig
xx
Fruit/veg/herb bargains at Poundland...

Started by nipper31 on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 13:24
by Windsong
xx
B&M Bargains !!!

Started by francais on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 23:05
by francais
xx
Bargains from B&Q (hopefully)

Started by muddywellies on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 14:48
by muddywellies

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.