Gardener v cook

• 16 Replies

Living in Hope

Gardener v cook
« on: December 28, 2011, 21:19 »
If you aren't the main cook, how much say do they get in the planning - both in the veg varieties and the quantities? If you are both cook and gardener do you tend to find creative ways of using what you can grow, i.e. tried and tested varieties or keep trying new varieties?

gobs

Re: Gardener v cook
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 21:24 »
If you aren't the main cook, how much say do they get in the planning - both in the veg varieties and the quantities? If you are both cook and gardener do you tend to find creative ways of using what you can grow, i.e. tried and tested varieties or keep trying new varieties?

A) Will depend on the team. I'm the main cook and I will grow things I do not personally like much. Anyway, there isn't much point in growing stuff your family does not like to eat.

B) Both. You do need a back up, you want to experiment, both in the garden and the kitchen. Though there isn't much to get creative about some mashed potatoes.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 22:05 »
I do both (got conned into the cooking part). I grow mostly veg we like and varieties we both like and can depend on, as well as some new items. Will grow small amounts of the new stuff in case we don't like it; that way we haven't devoted a lot of space and effort to it. If we like it, only then will I grow more of it next year.  Our growing space is limited so we have to be careful.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 23:44 »
It takes all of my time just to grow the stuff!!

I do all the veg. preparation and some cooking and it's my choice as what gets planted. My O.H. is happy as long as I can keep supplying potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbages and onions!

I should add that she rarely uses all of them in the same dish.

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15 »
The cook needs as much say in the garden as the gardener needs in the kitchen.

Lots, but without taking control.

It's a team; you need to be pulling together, not against each other. Each player needs to keep a few surprises and secrets to keep lif interesting though.

SS

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38 »
Head gardener and head cook, so it's my job to plan both the crops and the meals, and it is a challenge to keep it interesting. Both of us are fans of strong flavours, tomato, onion, garlic, chilli based things, but we also both like salads and the odd roast dinner and casserole. Next year, our first full year of allotment owning, will definitely see us trying lots of new things though, as we are planning to make at least a couple of meals a week meat free.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29 »
Me - Chef and veg supplier.. OH house tidy upperer and my maid!!  :D   (hope she dosen't see this post)!!   We do share the house work well..

I only grow what we like and a few others like peppers  to give away to my son..  But as I have always used my greenhouse and roof top garden it is a new ball game now that I have my new plot... so loads of stuff going in next season..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:30 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39 »
Gardener and cook here - so I grow what I intend eating   :D  As cook I want fruit and veg that I know will be used, and as gardener I'm always trying out new varieties to find the crop that are both tastier and more productive in my growing conditions and build up a favourites list of my own.  Too often someone else's recommendations fall short of my expectations.  Also, as gardener I like to try and grow something different and unusual to see if I can, and as cook and consumer, I'll decide whether it was worth it or not.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 13:16 »
Grower and cook here too.  My husband and son have no interest whatever in growing, but will eat it all

You can make mashed spuds interesting!  Garlic mash, swede mash, celeriac mash, the permutations are limitless

madcat

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 15:42 »
Cook and garden manager ....  We have a team effort in the garden.  I plan what we are going to grow, where and raise the seedlings.  He looks after the ground, plants out where instructed and looks after them, cropping when requested by the cook.  Seems to work!

I alway try to plan in something new each season .. next year it is early peas and golden beetroot.  Last year was butternut squash (modified success, not enough sun), pakchoi (failure) and late turnips (success).
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 16:24 »
I plan what we are going to grow, where and raise the seedlings.  He looks after the ground, plants out where instructed and looks after them,

Got a big whip there Madcat!!   :blink:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 19:27 »
Grower and cook here too.  My husband and son have no interest whatever in growing, but will eat it all

You can make mashed spuds interesting!  Garlic mash, swede mash, celeriac mash, the permutations are limitless

You are misunderstanding, Your Highness. I think they do not need to be playing with really. Anybody around here eats mash or chips any time. :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 19:42 »
Head cook and gardener here. We grow what we eat. We seem to eat most of it so little is wasted, but you have to try to grow a little more than you need as some crops do not produce what you expect. OH is in charge of parsnips and beetroot.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 21:01 »
Mr Sunny has had to take over as chief cook and also my 'right hand man' down at the plot due to me being unable to do so much right now.

He hardly ever queries what we are growing, and is prepared to follow advice re cooking the veg too.

Thank goodness he hasn't seen what is in the seed box recently -- he would be 'querying' all right then....... all sorts of lovely new peas and beans and tomatoes for the coming season  ;) ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 21:17 »
I grow what we both like, try to avoid things he doesn't like ... Made that misteak with beatroot this year I'm ow sick of the stuff! I like to try more exotic flavours and try to plant things of higher value so don't normally use much space for carrots, potatoes and onions as they are cheep in the shops anyway! I like to try out heratige veg too

xx
how do i cook spinach

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:24
by Ice
xx
Do spuds cook better when older?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 00:06
by JohnB47
question
Cook 'weedy' soil?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 09:45
by goodtogrow
xx
Unable to cook my Swede

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 19, 2019, 12:46
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 29 queries.