Seeds sorted yet?

• 196 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeds sorted yet?
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2012, 19:54 »
Welcome to the site Lawrence.   :D  That's an awful lot of pots if you grow one of everything you've bought  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2012, 20:23 »
Hi Lawrence - you are making the rest of us seed addicts look postively virtuous.  90 packets  :ohmy:

Think you may need several polytunnels at this rate  :D

LilacSandy

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2012, 20:40 »
Hi Lawrence,

You are doing well but you cannot beat my 185 packets yet, I am an addict and will be ringing to attend seeds anon  :ohmy: :lol: :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2012, 20:44 »
Hi Lawrence - you are making the rest of us seed addicts look postively virtuous.  90 packets  :ohmy:

Think you may need several polytunnels at this rate  :D

Hi Lawrence and welcome to SAA!  :) I think someone is downplaying her level of addiction there... :ohmy: :nowink: :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2012, 20:49 »
Moi  :unsure:  Surely not  :ohmy:

Can't think what you mean  - tries really really hard to look innocent   ::)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2012, 21:11 »
tries really really hard to look innocent   

without succeeding at all  :nowink:

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2012, 21:27 »
Yes you are right it will be a lot of pots, and trays, and space.
I bought a couple of hundred 3" pots from the 99p shop last year and will be topping up supplies in the next week or so. I have also been making some pots out of old newspapers (easier than I thought it would be).
The 90 packets was actually the ONE visit! I had already been buying a lot online and during the year, I now have two gardens to buy for so I have been indulging my interest for tropicals and unusual plants. I also have "discovered" heritage varieties so I got a few dozen of them too
I estimate I have around 400 packets of seeds to plant this year, although I may not use them all, and I won't use all of the seeds from each packet.

Trillium

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2012, 21:36 »

I am definately going to have to build a polytunnel this year.

Only one? Sounds more like you'll need a dozen just to take the tip off the seed packet iceberg.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2012, 21:40 »
I think a few folk on here need to take a serious look at themselves what they're buying!  :lol:

I've got two full size allotments, plus a back garden. About 60 packets will more than do it, I've only bought a couple of packets this year, the others are from other years or end of season sales, (where I only bought 6 packets).

Even if I was setting up from scratch there's no way I could justify some of the numbers being quoted, let alone have time to sow them and accommodate the seedlings.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2012, 21:44 »
I think a few folk on here need to take a serious look at themselves what they're buying!  :lol:

I've got two full size allotments, plus a back garden. About 60 packets will more than do it, I've only bought a couple of packets this year, the others are from other years or end of season sales, (where I only bought 6 packets).

Even if I was setting up from scratch there's no way I could justify some of the numbers being quoted, let alone have time to sow them and accommodate the seedlings.

We know DD but that's because you have such experience and we are new(ish)  to growing and don't know what works and what doesn't...... ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2012, 21:53 »
I'm not going to count mine

All I will say is I have what I need, accommodate most of what I want, and also then add a couple of things I hadn't thought of at first, with a bit of a juggle

Every year has some old favourites and some new friends, as well as a couple who won;t be invited again

and it werks fer me  8)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2012, 21:55 »
we are new(ish)  to growing and don't know what works and what doesn't......

but will you actually have room to try out all these different varieties. :unsure:
I know I wouldn't ..I just try a couple of new things each year

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2012, 21:56 »

We know DD but that's because you have such experience and we are new(ish)  to growing and don't know what works and what doesn't...... ::)

It took me many years at a steady rate to settle down to what I sow now, not trying everything in one season.

Just about "ditto" mum!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2012, 22:19 »
I've totted up mine and I've got 65 so not far off you DD  :)

About 50% are last years, or top ups of last years where I only had a few left.  25% are 50p jobs so got different dwarf beans than last year, but still 2 packs of dwarf beans if that makes sense. Of the remaining 25% I've got about 50/50 seed swaps and new to me types to try.  The seed swaps are particularly exciting as personal recommendations are always a plus  :D

Guess those figures will change as more and more make it onto the 'must have' list year by year.

Mind you - the veg seed pass the parcel has just to hit the New Shoot household  ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2012, 22:53 »
Ok, I fess up. Tried the eye-fluttering thing and it didn't work. Was just curious, never tried it before, honest!  :D
Too many seeds to sow and not enough time/or space to reap!
 :D

xx
how do i post a photo ? sorry sorted

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 20:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
tom seeds

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 23:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 07:51
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 39 queries.