Seeds sorted yet?

• 196 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Seeds sorted yet?
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2012, 06:56 »
If to do have an enormous quantity, I really do recommend rationalising on the numbers of different varieties of each veg that you sow.

If you try and do too many, they will be difficult to look after and give them the space they require, you won't be able to do them justice and hence you won't get a proper idea of how they are going to perform for you.

Better to bite the bullet and hold something back for next year, when your seed budget will be a fraction of this. Most seeds will keep well until next season if stored properly, parsnips being one of the notorious exceptions.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2012, 07:17 »
we are new(ish)  to growing and don't know what works and what doesn't......

but will you actually have room to try out all these different varieties. :unsure:
I know I wouldn't ..I just try a couple of new things each year
Realistically, no mum. Put in some onion seed a couple of days a go but have nowhere to put them if they germinate as I have sets in. Just love seeing things grow and can always find a good home for them so no waste. :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22 »
Are these over-wintering, (Japanese), onion sets?

If so and you're not already, you do need to be aware that they are poor storers.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48 »
Are these over-wintering, (Japanese), onion sets?

If so and you're not already, you do need to be aware that they are poor storers.
Yup. Have Senshyu Yellow, Karmen and banana shallots. Think the Karmen and the shallots will store ok and will freeze most of the Japanese onions.
The seeds were Stuttgarter Giant as they were all I had to hand. Have some Elista on the way which I shall bring on for one of my raised beds. The Stuttgarter I shall probably plant a few myself and foster the rest.  :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02 »
I think a few folk on here need to take a serious look at themselves what they're buying!  :lol:

I've got two full size allotments, plus a back garden. About 60 packets will more than do it, I've only bought a couple of packets this year, the others are from other years or end of season sales, (where I only bought 6 packets).

Even if I was setting up from scratch there's no way I could justify some of the numbers being quoted, let alone have time to sow them and accommodate the seedlings.

You are right DD, I have two full size plots and to be honest many of my seeds are from last year and a lot of them are off the front of magazines, (for instance I have five packets of assorted raddish, and we do not like them, if anyone wants some PM me).    I love trying all different types of tomatoes and peppers much to the delight of my workmates who I give the surplus to.  I save as many seeds as I can and will blag from other plot holders if they have exceptional crops.  I have a detailed spreadsheet of my plots and know where everything will go and what will be the follow on crops.  Most of my seeds were in the garden centre sale so I have spent about £25 this year.  However I still have my Parsnips and spuds to buy.  :lol: :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11 »
I think I have some Gladiator F1 lurking around if you want them? After being on here for a couple of months I know that 'snip seeds can get a bit iffy if kept and only have room for about 50, which is at most 150 seeds......

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 08:16 »
Thanks for the offer, but I have tried old parsnip seed in the past!

I'll be getting that variety, but from here:

Moles Seeds

Over three times the quantity, for just under the same price as T & M.

I'll divvy them out with other plot holderrs.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29 »
Thanks for the offer, but I have tried old parsnip seed in the past!

I'll be getting that variety, but from here:

Moles Seeds

Over three times the quantity, for just under the same price as T & M.

I'll divvy them out with other plot holderrs.
Don't know what T & M charge DD, only use them when there's an offer these days. Mine have a sow by of 2013 and were 99p for 250 from Seedparade. I didn't think that was too bad at the time but I hadn't found this site so I guess I was being a bit impulsive.  :). Was going to try the free Duchess F1 from DTBrown...in ma loo rolls... :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36 »
I generally get my seed from Moles, if I can't pick up the end of year bargains. I use a lot and they last years.

They don't charge postage on lightweight seeds, either, only things like peas & beans.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2012, 08:54 »
I shall deffo add them to my list for next year DD, got a bit carried away this year but may have a better idea of what I want to grow next year. Wish I could do the lottie thing but think I will be quite happy fostering out seedlings this year, is good practise.  :)

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2012, 17:26 »
Hi, this is my first post, I had forgotten all about this site until a colleague mentioned it.
Thanks Dave!
I couldn't stop chuckling to myself reading this thread, I thought I was the only one!!
Now up to about 25 varieties of Tomato, and 35 varieties of hot peppers.
I dare not count the rest.
When my local garden centre reduced their seeds to 50p last year I managed to walk away with about 90 packets (Some of them were multipacks!)
I am a compulsive seed saver as well, and just can't help myself from trying almost everything I buy that has seeds in.
I am definately going to have to build a polytunnel this year.
Wow that's some collection are going into business with New shoot, :D you could always swap or give away what you don't use  or you could keep them for the next few years :D :D
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2012, 17:54 »
Okay, this has gone on long enough!  :blink: I get inspired to buy more seeds every time I come in here.   :blush: Now, as well as paid for seeds, some companies are sending freebies as well. Does it never end??  I am walking away.... I may be some time :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2012, 21:20 »
Wow that's some collection are going into business with New shoot, :D

Oi .......... I'm relatively sane compared to some you know  :lol:  Not pointing any fingers but you know who you are  ;)

Add that to the fact I work in a garden centre and have to walk past seeds about a zilllion times a day while running round after customers, I think I am a model of restraint  :nowink:  :wacko:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2012, 21:21 »
Went to Wyevale today. They had three trugs of seeds at 10p a packet.

My name's Dave and I may be turning into an addict.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2012, 21:24 »
You can't lose at 10p a packet  :D  Don't blame you one bit  :lol:

xx
how do i post a photo ? sorry sorted

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 20:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Seeds

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 21:23
by AmandaLouise
xx
Do seeds go off?

Started by Vegswap on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:56
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 37 queries.