• 8 Replies

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Swedes .
« on: October 09, 2007, 22:42 »
Hi hope someone can put my mind at rest . My swedes sown in June are
 growing fine , But some of them have slight spilts in them which have
 healed over. Are they gone over , Or is it normal.
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

muntjac

Swedes .
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 22:44 »
its ok mate its drought caused that .they will be fine to eat around the splits , dont eat the splits tho they dont taste of anything :)  :wink:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Swedes .
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 22:44 »
Someone more knowledgeable is round the corner, but I think the splits occur when you get wet after a dry period and they grow extra quick and split, but like you said, the split heals.  They are fine to eat, some of mine went like that.

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Swedes .
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 23:10 »
Thanks for the advice they seem OK.No real physical splits like a crack
 Just like a scar .

leeky

Swedes .
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 23:23 »
I wish I had done some swedes this year. Love the smell more than the taste.  :D

Next year!

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Swedes .
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 17:10 »
What's the secret with Swedes? Mine are a bit skinny looking not like the nice big fat rounds ones you see. They do get attacked by the caterpillars eating the green tops, what is it they like to make them grow well?
You should have seen mine last year, they were thin tall and woody!

Ta,
Cheers,

Wayne.

muntjac

Swedes .
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 18:33 »
i find the third year after manuring best for swede when the nitrogen is at its lowest but still rich in humus etc i then add suplhate of potash to the soil at 10 to sq yard when i am forking the soil over before sowing rake it level ,thats way they dont get masses of leaf on them but the root grows well .to many folks let their neeps  grow too big before pulling em  you really wanna pull em when just above tennis balls sized .they do badly if they suffer a stop to the growing like drying out or a cooking from the sun  
i grow one called bora its a tasty little begger i get it off the farm.,make sure the ground is totallly stone free cos they will chop into the skin if not .sow each seed 18 inch wide and in rows the same and place a wall of fleece around em to stop any flea beetle getting to em when they sown i use hutch wire in rolls with the fleece wrapped over it to make my wall .dont put any fertiliser on the surface at all when you dig and prep the ground put it in then, potash like i said and then rake in 1/2 0z growmore , if a seed fails to come up just chuck another  another in its place , hope that helps

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Swedes .
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 18:55 »
That's great Muntjac thanks for all that advice! Still learning loads here and next year I'll give it a go. My soils a bit on the heavy side and stoney but I plant em on the brassica beds so they get dont get manure in that year just the previous year perhaps I'd be better growing them in the roots bed which would be the last rotation and so 2 years with no manure? Mind you having said that, I put manure under my spuds this year in the trenches and I had a good crop though the damn slugs had a field day and most of them have had some sort of attack. hasn't stopped us from cutting out the rough bits and eating them though  :D

muntjac

Swedes .
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 18:59 »
but spuds need manure ,, get rid the stones .make a decent attempt at a bed with manure .then start the 2 nd season after the manure went in ... you can grow em in troughs /tubs like carrots  but use old top soil  :wink:

xx
Out of Swedes already - can I sow more Swedes (or Turnips)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 23:38
by Kirpi
xx
swedes?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:49
by penance
xx
Swedes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:24
by Eblana
xx
Swedes

Started by Anne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 07:09
by totalnovice

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 36 queries.