beak triming

• 19 Replies

TRACKS

beak triming
« on: October 09, 2007, 21:03 »
hi my names andy and i have just joind the plot
my problem is my hens are fether picking and ive been told to trim there beaks but dont know how or how much to take off any advise greatley appreciated
regards Andy

muntjac

beak triming
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 21:11 »
having been around birds for all the time i have both chicken and pheasnts etc my advice is before you think about it DONT......... its totally unnecasary and cruel . to prevent it  buy some anti peck bits from your supplier and they fit over the top beak and the birds cant bite down on the feather but can still feed ,if you cut the birds beak  THEY DO NOT GROW BACK NORMAL the bird suffers trying to eat and drink ......... also buy some purple spray from the feed suppliers  spray this on the birds where they are being got at this will sort the whole problem out without you causing hurt to the bird .. which i may add MAY now come under the new laws re welfare and care for all animals and birds
still alive /............

Selkie

beak triming
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 21:11 »
hi andy, welcome!

i'm sure someone with more experience will be along in a minute but isn't that very cruel?

i know they do it to battery hens :twisted:

Selkie

beak triming
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 21:12 »
bravo munty :D

TRACKS

re beak triming
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 21:25 »
thank you for your advise will take heed
and get some of them beak things
thanks again Andy

TRACKS

beak triming
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 21:29 »
also thanks to rosemary
yes it was a ex-battry man that told me about it
regards Andy

muntjac

beak triming
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 21:30 »
your welcome matey and a great welcome to the chicken forum :wink: loads of  advice or help is in these pages .take a look at all the sticky bits of advice on the top of this forum and any more questions just ask :wink:

Selkie

beak triming
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 21:41 »
it's good to think that these hens WON'T be getting their beaks trimmed now, fair play to you andy :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
beak triming
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 21:50 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
...also buy some purple spray from the feed suppliers  spray this on the birds where they are being got at this will sort the whole problem out without you causing hurt to the bird ...

Munty,  how does this work?  one of my 3 is bullying the other two and not letting them near the feeder when she's around.  The other two are getting bald heads from where she pecks them and doesn't let go!!

I'll go to my local feed supplier to see if she's got any after your reply.  (well, not straight after - it's nearly 10 o'clock!)

muntjac

beak triming
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 21:54 »
it puts the birds off as it contains an antiseptic stuff sally uses it more and knows more about it than i do ,i just called it gentian violet when i used it many years back its just called purple spray .if you search up top " purple spray"  there area  few more posts on it  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
beak triming
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 21:56 »
Hubby thinks the EU Laws are in force to say beak trimming is illegal now.  It does temp you though, when they feather peck.  My chicks are still doing it occasionally, even with the purple spray, but its not as bad as it was, and once they are out of the brooders, hopefully they will have other things to think about!

Suzie, the purple spray I got is called NAF Aloe Vera Purple Spray.  It was £6, but has lastest for weeks being sprayed on 300 chicks several times, and I've still got half a bottle!  They still peck a bit, but then decide the feathers don't taste very nice anymore!!!!

muntjac

beak trimming laws
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 22:00 »
looking at the eu legislation i believe this act is now in force

Beak trimming of poultry
 Flock welfare
 May only be performed -

(a) if carried out as a single procedure, provided no more than a one third part of both the upper and lower beaks, measured from the tip towards the entrance to the nostrils, is removed; or
(b) provided no more than a one third part of the upper beak only, measured as above, is removed.
In either case any subsequent haemorrhage from the beak must be arrested by cauterization.

Beak trimming may only be performed where a veterinary surgeon considers the beak trimming to be necessary to prevent feather pecking or cannibalism and measures to improve the environmental conditions have been taken.

Beak trimming of laying hens may only be performed on birds aged 10 days or less kept in flocks of 350 or more birds.

Beak trimming of laying hens may only be performed until 31 st December 2010.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
beak triming
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 22:39 »
Beak trimming is barbaric  :twisted:

When Hattie used to peck feathers from Gerty I got some beak rings from The Domestic Fowl Trust

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/sundries1.html

The were very effective but needed changing about every 3 weeks.  

If you need some fast Andy PM me your address and I'll pop a few in the post to you.

Emsdad

beak triming
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:48 »
Hi all - chicken newbie here (got 4 Black Rocks 3 weeks ago). I spent 9 months researching chicken-keeping before taking the plunge, and this site has been a goldmine of knowledge - thank-you!!!

Anyway, re: beak-trimming. I read somewhere that if a hen's top beak protruded over the lower one and started to curl over, you could trim it back with nail clippers. One of our hens has got a beak like this (although it doesn't appear to prevent her feeding or drinking at present). Should I do this or leave it be?

(I suspect this will be question 1 of 10,000 from me............) :?

muntjac

beak triming
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 11:16 »
this one wont count ,u answered it yourself :wink:

One of our hens has got a beak like this (although it doesn't appear to prevent her feeding or drinking at present). Should I do this or leave it be?  :lol:
there is no need to trim any beak unless its massivly deformed and then you cut with the help of a vet......... its illegal  :D  according to the new eu laws previosly posted and the laying hens part refers to battery hens only

exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull
xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook
xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.