oh boy excited

• 45 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: oh boy excited
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 15:05 »
Although local independent stores often have a wide choice, chains seem rarely to do so, so I choose to pay p&p to get the varieties I want.

Special offers right early are often useful, and this year I managed to spot one  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 16:05 »

no last year mine arrived the same time i started chitting them on the top of ktchen cabinets an there they stayed they were fine untill april   ;)

so i have no worries and i must say the chits are amazing to look at and in colour come the end of march  :lol:

A couple of years ago I ordered my potatoes at the beginning of December, and they arrived 2 weeks later  :nowink:  I unpacked and started "chitting" them on the West facing windowsill and they were fine by late March/mid April.

Special offers right early are often useful, and this year I managed to spot one  :D

This year I also got special offers for all the potatoes I wanted, plus there was a one off free p&P so I went for it  :D

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 16:08 »
Could we have that sticky/thread put up again - the one that lists all the nurseries which sell loose seed potatoes? I looked for it recently and it took a while to find. I'm sure we'll all be starting to think about seed potatoes after Christmas, and it would be really useful.
Rachael

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 16:13 »
It's a thread in the FAQ section, so in effect it is a sticky as it's never going to be far away. Here's the link:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=49027.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 17:08 »
I always buy mine from Wyevale these days, but my local branch always has a decent selection of spuds loose with the cram-as-many-as-you-can-into-a-bag deal, which works out very reasonable.

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 17:26 »
While local garden centres charge exorbitant prices like this one http://www.stakehillnurseries.co.uk/70-seed-potatos ie: £3.95 for 1Kg I will continue to buy from JBA at £3.99 for 2.5Kg. This year I ordered 4 varieties so I only pay one delivery charge of £3.99. It's cheaper, I arrives on my doorstep, JBA email me the day before to inform me that it's on its way, and I'm guaranteed the varieties that I want.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 18:16 »
I will continue to buy from JBA at £3.99 for 2.5Kg. This year I ordered 4 varieties so I only pay one delivery charge of £3.99. It's cheaper, ...

It seems they might have revised their policies. The one year I was going to buy seed potatoes from them, the cost of carriage at checkout was £15.00, so I didn't proceed. This is from one part of Scotland to another, although this wouldn't matter for Royal Mail.

:dry:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 19:03 »
obviously a change in pricing, Argyllie!

Look here, no worse than any of the seed suppliers now, although why it's still more expensive to post to you I don't understand  :wacko:
http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/p16-delivery-rates.html

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 19:31 »
obviously a change in pricing, Argyllie!

Look here, no worse than any of the seed suppliers now, although why it's still more expensive to post to you I don't understand  :wacko:
http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/p16-delivery-rates.html

It's probably just down to the population being relatively thinly spread as opposed to england. In our area the delivery man could probably complete 40 deliveries within a 5 mile radius. That may come down to 10 in the rural areas of scotland.

It may be a good idea to check the rates with Iain.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 19:33 by Willie_Eckerslike »

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 22:43 »
lol digger dave i have has 20 - 35 fold in weight each year and every year i start chitting boxing day so dont worry about it 

if you dont want to share my excitment then dont post negitive

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 23:12 »

if you dont want to share my excitment then dont post negitive

We don't tell people NOT to post on our forums just because they may not agree with you.

Negative comments can give as much good information as posative comments do and often more.  Another person's knowledge and experience is always useful even if it differs from your own.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 04:33 »
Thanks Auntie. I merely posted my opinion and then stated how I go about it. I don't see how that's negative.

Had I said "you're doing it wrong, you should do it like this" that would have been negative.

Anyway, end of.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 07:33 »
I'm impressed you have 35kg of seed potatoes Flitwickone.  You certainly love your spuds  :)  Please do post a list of everything you are growing as I for one am interested  :)

We've just had seed potatoes in at work and I keep finding myself strangely drawn to that area of the shop ........... can't imagine why  :dry:  Like you DD, I don't have a good spot for storing or chitting, so am trying to keep my impulse to buy under control  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 07:41 »
My local nursery won't have them in until Late Jan/Early Feb in any event. I could keep them in the frost-free greenhouse, but a) - as I said I can't get them yet, b) why not let someone else store them under better conditions than I can?

gobs

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 20:35 »
my seed potatoes just arrived all 35 kilos  :D  im so excited
im going to have a beer  :blink:

Oh my! What on earth you do with that many?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
OMG I'm so excited

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 17:03
by mashauk
xx
Excited............

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 08:41
by sunshineband
xx
So excited!

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 23:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
I think my dad got a little over excited!!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 22:10
by Paul Plots

Page created in 2.227 seconds with 39 queries.