oh boy excited

• 45 Replies

gobs

Re: oh boy excited
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 21:08 »
lol digger dave i have has 20 - 35 fold in weight each year and every year i start chitting boxing day so dont worry about it 

if you dont want to share my excitment then dont post negitive

Oh, please, chill out. We do not grow just potatoes. He just said he is not storing them long.

Nothing to get uptight about. I do not either. I'm still wondering, what you do with that many.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 21:25 »
ok ok im fine   :lol: sorry if my post was or sounded a little snotty   :wub:

what do i do with all those spuds i and my big / huge family eat them

i can honestly say we have never tasted pots as good as Wilja they are amazing

so i will be planted 14 kilos of them alone

as for the question what am i growing in the coming season just about everything

im very luck that i have two plots that  measure about 97 strides and about 15 foot across so i am blessed  :blink:

so merry Christmas all

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 21:28 »
Your plots must be quite a sight when all those potatoes get going  :)

Merry Christmas and happy chitting  :D

gobs

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 21:35 »
ok ok im fine   :lol: sorry if my post was or sounded a little snotty   :wub:

what do i do with all those spuds i and my big / huge family eat them

i can honestly say we have never tasted pots as good as Wilja they are amazing

so i will be planted 14 kilos of them alone

as for the question what am i growing in the coming season just about everything

im very luck that i have two plots that  measure about 97 strides and about 15 foot across so i am blessed  :blink:

so merry Christmas all

Aaaah, two plots, more in picture now.

Wilja, you are swearing by? I have never tried them yet.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 22:05 »
Cool! :-D
What other kinds other than Wilja are you growing, Flitwick? And where did you order them from?
I've placed my order with JBA already and they should arrive early January... unlike some members on here, i prefer to start chitting early- up on top of the kitchen cupboard they form really nice fat chits and are perfectly happy by the time i plant them in late March/early April.

In fact, there were a few potatoes i didn't have space on my plot until June/July and so i didn't plant them until then- they took off growing like a rocket and i had a nice haul of late new potatoes. Can't complain!  :D
I can't wait for mine to arrive, heralds the start of the new season for me... soon followed by starting off onion seeds and leeks

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 22:37 »
Mine also should arrive mid January. I chit mine in a north facing spare room which is not heated. They take around eight weeks to form some good strong chits which works out about right for planting time. I have 2.5kgs x 4 varieties on order. 2x 2nd early and 2x maincrop.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 22:37 »
i kid you not wilja are just amazing if you think u have a
have had a nice jacket potato wait till you try wilja

i get all my seeds from molesseeds i get together in the pub late in the year with two fellow allotmenteers and we all order together and save on the postage cos the order is big about 150-200 quid its free postage

plus if you buy a packet of carrot seed for arguements sake that has to many seeds then we share the cost of the packet etc

as for leeks i love em my fav veg i plant about 100-200 a year

if you look at moleseeds take alook at the red samurai carrots im giving those ago this year they look amazing

compostqueen

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 17:26 »
Wilja stay in good condition in the ground too, if you happen to forget them  :blush:

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 18:29 »
others will be the old fav pentland javelin and this year cara for the main crop
i will post pics in the new year at the mo in the ground are 4 rows of garlic
one is cleopatra the other is isle of wight and the 3rd is a scillian one which bonfire ted gave me so i dont know the name
leeks are still in with spring greens and some swedes the rest of the plots are 8-12 inches under manure  :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 18:30 by flitwickone »

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 19:12 »
rest of the plots are 8-12 inches under manure  :D

.....and I thought I'd shifted some manure this week.  :wacko:

My potato beds for next year have about 4-6 inches of muck on them.
Still need to dig my brassica bed over and manure as soon as the weather dries a bit.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2011, 19:55 »
It's usually recommended that you leave brassica beds for several months between digging and planting, (i.e. dig in the autumn) and that whilst they benefit from added humus, this should not be freshly applied.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2011, 20:22 »
It's usually recommended that you leave brassica beds for several months between digging and planting, (i.e. dig in the autumn) and that whilst they benefit from added humus, this should not be freshly applied.

Agree'd. My manure has been sitting in an outdoor compound for about 3 months when it arrives. It'll get another 3 months with the winter weather washing through it before I rotavate at the end on March. I'll then lime it a couple of weeks before my brassica's go in.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2011, 20:30 »
Freshly applied - as in recently applied as opposed to applying fresh manure.

Ground for brassicas needs to be - in Doc. H.'s words - "consolidated" for several months before planting. Digging when the soil dries out - this may be weeks or months away - will loosen the soil structure which is not desirable for brassicas.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 20:33 by DD. »

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2011, 21:14 »
Not for me to disagree with the experts as I can only speak from my personal experience.
This year I planted 20 B sprout plants and the bed was consolidated two weeks before planting with a heavy roller. The plants were staked to stop them moving and the earth drawn up around the base as well.
We have been eating the few which were starting to blow but I now have 20lbs of nice tight sprouts in my freezer.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2011, 22:22 »
Not for me to disagree with the experts as I can only speak from my personal experience.
This year I planted 20 B sprout plants and the bed was consolidated two weeks before planting with a heavy roller. The plants were staked to stop them moving and the earth drawn up around the base as well.
We have been eating the few which were starting to blow but I now have 20lbs of nice tight sprouts in my freezer.

thats a plan for 2012 thanks
how big were the plugs b4 they went in

xx
Very excited

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 15:07
by flitwickone
xx
So excited..............

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:28
by Wildeone
xx
Im so excited but now i need help please xxx

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 21:25
by Teen76
xx
Excited !!!

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 11:01
by TerryB

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 37 queries.