Clearing snow

• 6 Replies

Drowned

Clearing snow
« on: December 18, 2011, 21:53 »
How do you deal with a thick layer of snow on the allotment, (other than off growing crops) I have heard a lot of conflicting advice. I have always bought into the 'its just like a layer of mytex and will do no harm' theory but others seem to be having a fit over it and are desperate to clear it before it has even hit the ground!

Whats your views guys? Also is it worth taking the netting down on top of my brassicas to stop the snow caving it in? (I know they don't need its protection now but it is such a job in the cold!)

sarajane

Re: Clearing snow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 21:59 »
I have never lost any sleep worrying about snow on the allotment.  The veg that are out there now are all winter hardy and unless thy are covered for weeks on end, most survive.

I would however take your netting off.  Snow can be heavy and could rip your mesh and as you say, no real need for it now. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 22:03 »
I disagree totally with taking it off. This is what I was typing while the previous poster was posting:

Snow actually acts as a layer of insulation. Clear it off and the ground will get colder and more frosted.

Netting wise, it depends on the type off netting you have. Debris netting is more susceptible to  collapse under the weight of snow, but the wider mesh netting is less likely to accumulate a weight of snow.

Problem is, if you take it off, it's bye bye crops, at least on our site it is, as the pigeons get very hungry in winter, so you pays your money etc..  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 22:05 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 22:05 »
Last two years I have grown some beautiful broad been plants from autumn only to see them get killed by a heavy layer of snow, so I'd clear it from around any you have, or any peas you may have in the ground. They dont seem to mind the cold (-15c) but contact with snow was too much.
I'm not bothering this year and will plant in the early spring, everything else in the allotment should be fine, leeks, parsnips, onions garlic etc are tough as old boots when it comes to surviving winter.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 22:17 »
I wouldn't dream of removing the snow from anyhting on the plot that is growing, only from any structures in dnager of collapsing under the weight (Like the cabbage cage last year, as wel left it covered with debris netting....doh! This year it is has been changed for bird netting already  :) )

Snow is nature's duvet  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 22:18 »
Like eskimos, plants are warmer under the snow and ice, than they are exposed to freezing cold winds !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:49 »

Problem is, if you take it off, it's bye bye crops, at least on our site it is, as the pigeons get very hungry in winter, so you pays your money etc..  

I replace my butterfly netting with pigeon netting this time of year - did it yesterday.

xx
Snow

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 16:11
by Aidy
sad
Snow!

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 22:09
by Thrift
xx
snow

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 17:26
by rowlandwells
xx
Looking for snow pea seeds

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 19:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 38 queries.