Giant egg

• 8 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Giant egg
« on: December 13, 2011, 20:37 »
I've had my girls for about 7 or 8 weeks now and they're laying well - currently about 5 or 6 a week from each. Most eggs weigh about 60gm +/- but the other day I had one weighing a whopping 96gm! It wouldn't even fit in an egg box! Judging by the colour it's from one of my warrens.
Is this usual? Will it happen again or do you think it was a one off? (Haven't eaten it yet so I don't know if it's a double yolker).
Thanks, BG

viettaclark

Re: Giant egg
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 20:57 »
This is quite a common occurence when hens start laying. They produce the huge double-yolkers because their ovulation is still a bit erratic. There is a chance of "softies" but some hens will occasionally lay 2 whole eggs in 24 hours, some a huge double-yolker and then not lay for a day or two.
Lovely to get one! They're not so common later on, although I understand some breeds do consistently lay the double-yolkers?

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 22:49 »
Yes... big eggs, small eggs, double yolkers, soft-shelled eggs... all 'normal' for pullets who have just started laying and also for hens at the other end of their laying life, when they are reaching 'henopause'.

I'm just a little disappointed that I've had my girls for 10 months and not had a double-yolker.  I think it is more common with the commercial hybrid hens though as they are bred to ovulate as often as possible and sometimes that leads to a traffic jam on their egg-laying highway!  :)

Andrew4613

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:05 »
Show off!! I've had my girls 2 now without a single egg!! I've now resorted to singing chick chick chick chick chicken......! ;-)

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53 »
Show off!! I've had my girls 2 now without a single egg!! I've now resorted to singing chick chick chick chick chicken......! ;-)
Guess I've been lucky!!
BG

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 15:39 »
My girls did that too - I had one that was 116 g! Ouch.

kensington chicks

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 15:54 »
Hi,

One of my Warrens Ruby did that with her very first egg.  We had to put her in a hot bath to help her lay it, and when she did - OMG.  It was a double yolker, and we had quite a few after that but never as big as the first one. :)   Eat it while it is fresh and enjoy!

KC x

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 18:30 »
Margot Leadbetter in 'The Good Life'......

"the Ooohhh Aaaahhh bird is so called because it lays square eggs".
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 23:23 »

I often sing this to my chickens, and it seems to work!  :lol:  Most days in the early evening, my chickens all line up on the wooden decking rail for a hand-fed treat and we have a little sing-along.  I sing "chick chick chick chick chicken" and they harmonise in a way only chickens can.  The neighbours must think I'm mad.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 23:29 by Lindeggs »

xx
OMG a giant hogglet !!

Started by babe on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 22:01
by babe
xx
Giant Jerseys

Started by laurasfarm on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 06:51
by joyfull

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 28 queries.