Poo picking

• 21 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Poo picking
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 23:28 »
A year or so ago someone posted a link to an Australian TV show.  The host of the show recommended throwing a chunk opf polystyrene into the hen house to stop them getting bored - because they kept pecking at it until they had eaten it all!  :wacko:

It prompted a lot of discussion on here of course!  The conclusion seemed to be that while polysyrene is reasonably inert and may not do any harm, there are better ways to stop your chickens getting bored!

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37 »
Every morning when I let them out they get a quick poo pick. Takes about two minutes to do.
The only other thing to get cleaned is a few slabs that their house is stood on, which I use a wallpaper scraper. This I do once a week

ehs284

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 17:21 »
I poo pick every morning. Quick and easy. Use old coal fire half-moon rake & small shovel. Hard plywood floor under perches treated with DE. Slopes to place for shovel.
Lifts out for washing and repainting every few months. Shavings for other areas but not under perches. Never any odour, flies or other problems.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 17:50 »
...a couple of weeks later - no problem with the polystyrene at all. We don't concern ourselves with hens eating woodshavings.. not so different surely?

I'm still poo picking myself - it's no problem but will soon be instructing the hen sitter - lets see how they like it! :)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 18:34 »
i poo pick my entire run and coop every day and i've become an expert on spotting trodden down chicken dodo. i hope it'll become an olympic event. it all goes onto the compost and keeps the run halfway decent.

the run is 30 foot by 15 foot and i have 16 chickens so that's a lot of poo over a year.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 21:40 »
Crumbs - you'll win an award for that!

I used to work for a market garden at Christmas throwing out rotten brussel sprouts as they came along the conveyor belt.  I saw decaying sprouts every time I closed my eyes and I still remember the smell....

Hope your experience is more pleasant!!!!!

Sassy

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12 »
...a couple of weeks later - no problem with the polystyrene at all. We don't concern ourselves with hens eating woodshavings.. not so different surely?

As wood shavings are organic if eaten they can be dealt with by the digestive system, polystyrene couldn't. I'm glad it is working for you. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Poo picking.

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 09:36
by Pol
xx
poo picking

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 11:24
by Squiggly
xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage
xx
Picking up chickens

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 21:49
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.