SQUASH - LITTLE GEM

• 7 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
SQUASH - LITTLE GEM
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:12 »
I know there a few little gem fans on here so for those that have grown them before a couple of questions.

How much spacing would you give between plants? And how rampant are they?

Any little tips for growing for getting the best out of them or just treat as a normal squash?

Thanks
Faff free zone!

AndyRVTR

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: SQUASH - LITTLE GEM
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 14:22 »
I grew some this year. They certainly travelled quite a long way, they were close to my pea frame and they shot up that (8' canes) and then clambered all along the top of it, where they seemed to be quite happy. I swear they climbed up there in about a week. Because the fruit are small I didn't need to give them any support up there, and they did seem to work very well climbing up like that, so that's maybe something worth trying if you want to save some space.

I didn't have much fruit from them, just a couple per plant that grew to a decent size, but this was my worst ever year for courgettes so not really surprising the squash didn't do well either (yet strangely the outdoor cucumbers did fine).

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 15:25 »
I think there are many more squashes worth growing than this one. I'm not a fan.  I'd go for a Winter Festival or Harlequin, similar size but much better to look at and miles better in the kitchen  :)

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 15:59 »
I think there are many more squashes worth growing than this one. I'm not a fan.  I'd go for a Winter Festival or Harlequin, similar size but much better to look at and miles better in the kitchen  :)

I like to grow a fair few different varieties CQ as we eat it a lot through winter, your the first person I've heard say it doesn't taste good a few on here and other forums really rate it, time will tell I suppose lol

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 16:21 »
Taste wise, I thought they were a bit bland. I baked them in foil then added a bit of butter, and they didn't really taste of very much like that. I'm not sure it's fair to judge them on the basis of this year's crop though, because it was such a bad year for them that it may well have affected their flavour.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 19:33 »
Taste wise, I thought they were a bit bland. I baked them in foil then added a bit of butter, and they didn't really taste of very much like that

I prefer to steam/boil gem squash and then add pepper and butter to bring out the flavour.

This year I grew Stripetti (vegetable spagetti) and I thought the flavour surpassed that of gem squash.  I picked them before they were mature so didn't get that spagetti effect but taste wise were lovely.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:59 »
Bazh you are a champion by growing Gems... they are my most favourite veg ... along with Asparagus..

In Zimbabwe we grew Gems in a 3' round bed and had 3-6 plants per bed.. basically we threw 4 or 5 seeds in each third of the bed and kept the 2 strongest looking plant in each of the portions..  They can wander a lot so the beds were about 3' - 6' apart.. But this does take up a lot of space so a fence comes in handy for them to grow on as well.

Here in England I grow them on my flat roof in much closer spacings in big tubs and also grow them in my greenhouse. I plant them fairly close - about a 6" to 1' apart and do feed them during the season. .  just trail them all over the GH on strings tied up like giant spiderwebs.. They grow fairly well and we get quite a few from them.

This year I have been given an allotment and still preparing it so next season I'll grow them along my fences and plant them about 1' apart..

I have some info on my website about Gem Squash so click on my web address icon below my profile pic..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:02 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
squash

Started by hoporus on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 20:22
by hoporus
xx
Squash

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2006, 11:33
by wellingtons
xx
squash

Started by mollymuggles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 21:56
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 37 queries.