recommendations for a really friendly breed of hen please

• 20 Replies

rosie14

Re: recommendations for a really friendly breed of hen please
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 23:02 »
thanks all. The WS I had and the current Bluebell I have now came from similar backgrounds, artificially incubated reared in pens with lots of other youngstock in a very barron environment with no enrichment whatsover one in large shed the other in a pen in a machinery barn. They turned out the same unfriendly although will hand feed. I'm not sure how the Bluebell was treated tbh as she squats when I open the door to their run to go in she was supposedly 16 weeks but who knows. Prob. true as she came into lay Christmas week  8)

The friendliest hen I've eer had other than in childhood is our Orpington who is like a 'chickendog' lol! We had her as a 3 day old chick and raised her with our broody. I love her sooo much she is just the coolest friendliest chicken I want more like her not the silly Bluebell -  I do appreciate it's not her fault she's the way she is mind!

alaj

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59 »
We have a bunch of hilarious ex-bats who are really friendly, daft critters!
A
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

alaj

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 10:00 »
Sorry,meant to say that we are still getting an average of 4 eggs per day at the mo
A

ehs284

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 17:10 »
Hi Rosie,
You don't say if you have children or other animals. Generally our Blackrocks are good all-round company, the Welsummers like to be near but generally keep to themselves, the others are just bonkers, but the friendliest to small children is an old Warren who will let them pick her up (not always in the correct manner!) and never complains. They are all wary of dogs they don't know, but neighbours animals are fine and they are at home with (wild) rabbits, one especially who joins them for eating layers pellets.

bantam novice

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 19:06 »
My Orpingtons will follow me around and eat out of my hand.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

rosie14

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 21:44 »
Hi all well if you saw my oher post the 'silly' Blubell has come into lay yay, every day too. Yes, we have 3 children who all like to be involved with the chickens. They are 8, 5 and 3 years old. The Orpington again is just wondefull as she follows us around. She's very docile and super friendly - however she met our 11 month old pup the other day and he came sniffing quietly and she raced for him with her neck feathers up in attack mode it was quite funny but shocking. It reminded me of a cockerel we had growing up that was far from friendly and would literally launch an attack on us children if we dared to get too close!

I would really like different looking chickens but am rather taken with out gold laced so maybe a different colour assortment is in order in spring although I have to say I'd like some smaller birds but not nececarilly bantams and no feathered feet, which is a shame as I LOVE Cochins. From childhood really as I'd bring them into my play caravan and pretend they were my pets  :blush: well they were I suppose!

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
friendly chicks?

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 18:28
by poultrygeist
xx
Friendly Geese

Started by slowef on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 08:42
by slowef
xx
Hen friendly bushes/hedges

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 22:31
by Selkie

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.