recommendations for a really friendly breed of hen please

• 20 Replies

rosie14

;) Hi all, we are planning to get more hens in the spring time and I am keen to either hatch in my dads incubator or buy young chicks to rear as I have the light etc. OR * possibly hatch IF our Orpie goes broody and hope we do better than last time!!

Anyway my hubby isn't keen on the whole thing after the hassle of the hen (my hassle NOT HIS!) as we had the brooder out on the lawn-no shed or garage with light you see and the expense of sourcing and buying 3 expensive £10 each chicks, 2 of whom died in days when ours didn't hatch out grrrrr. So if he really said no way and we went down the POL route what breeds would you say are great pet chickens that do lay OK too. We have had several breeds and our favourite by far is the Orpington, they follow us in the garden and let the children pet them I adore them. What other friendly breeds would you recommend? Just because we'd like a bit of a variety really  :happy:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: recommendations for a really friendly breed of hen please
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09 »
I love my orpingtons and brahmas as they are friendly and great with the children but they wont be great layers.
My Salmon Faverolles is the most friendly and talkative little thing, funny looking too.  :lol: Faverolles lay a good amount of eggs and often keep laying through winter.

kegs

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:20 »
I agree with Salmon Faverolle.   :blink:

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50 »
Ligght sussex for me.

Big heavy breed, vrey greedy and thus very friendly!  Loves to pearch on me while im trying to dig!

Very good layers too
I hate signatures but love irony

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:26 »
I am a great fan of the blackrocks, nice friendly docile bird, good immune system and good layers.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

evie2

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 14:00 »
Our Speckldy and Ambers are very friendly and good layers.  Our Light Sussex isn't at all friendly but she did make a great broody and is a great layer with only a break in laying when she had chicks to look after.  All are still laying.

For friendliness though our LM Sabelpoots come tops, their eggs are small, fantastic for salads and apart from a few weeks break recently they've been laying all year :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

tstainesmoore

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 16:26 »
Any hrbrid or commercial layer will provide you with eggs and are relativly docile. if purebreeds is what you are looking for then light sussex or silkies but they are not great layers, but they are good broodys .

Surferchick

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 21:02 »
I have to agree too,  our Salmon Faverolle are the most docile and friendly and are still laying now.

We have several breeds Welsummer, cream legbars, marans, bluebells, giant jersey, dominque and a good few hybrids but the faverolles are the friendliest by far.

;)

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 23:34 »
Light or Buff Sussex are great layers and freindly.  No flock should be without a few Sussex.
HF
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 19:26 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15 »
Any Faverolle as they are a quiet breed, but you will have to consider what hens you buy in the future as they can be easily bullied.
Other friendly birds are Bluebelles - a hybrid. They tend to be very inquisitive and are completely bonkers! My oldest hen was a Bluebelle (sadly passed away last Winter due to old age) and she was lovely - liked being picked up and would perch on my arm and have a stroll around.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 14:35 »
My big softies my Orpington and Light Sussex are both very very friendly girls, quiet when picked up (easy to catch) and very good around my children , all of my hens are friendly but these two breeds stand out for me.   :blink:
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 16:09 »
My most friendly girl is a speckledy she loves jumping on your back or shoulder if she can, she chats loads and doesn't mind being cuddled! ;) ;)

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 17:09 »
Any Faverolle as they are a quiet breed, but you will have to consider what hens you buy in the future as they can be easily bullied.
Other friendly birds are Bluebelles - a hybrid. They tend to be very inquisitive and are completely bonkers! My oldest hen was a Bluebelle (sadly passed away last Winter due to old age) and she was lovely - liked being picked up and would perch on my arm and have a stroll around.

aww that sounds just like my Bluebell! She is the smallest of my lot and is definately the boss!She has the character of a dog or friendly cat, VERY inquisative and alwats first to run to me in the mornings :)  she has a crooked toe . bless. I lover her so much. My kids named her "Big Momma" ;P they're 3 and 2 year olds :tongue2: .

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:24 »
we have all sorts mixed i find that bluebells are very freindly  :D
Chicken crazy

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 20:43 »
Do you have access to Barred Plymouth Rocks?  Mine are definitely the friendliest of my bunch (even more than the Light Sussex).  One of my BPRs goes up to visitors and tugs on their trouser legs to ask for treats.  ::)

Different strains of the same breed, and obviously different upbringings, can affect their temperament.  I would suggest you start by visiting a few breeders and asking what they have available, and what breeds they recommend for friendliness. 

If at all possible ask if you can meet the parent birds.  Birds in breeders' pens won't necessarily be 'pets' who like to be handled, but look for calm, docile, curious birds and there is a high chance their offspring will be easy to train as petting birds.

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
friendly chicks?

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 18:28
by poultrygeist
xx
Friendly Geese

Started by slowef on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 08:42
by slowef
xx
child friendly chooks.

Started by vichope74 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 18:35
by Hennery

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.