Highliner ? Please help a novice identify a bird ...

• 4 Replies

kay

« on: October 08, 2007, 10:51 »
I'm thinking of keeping chickens. Yesterday I saw a smallholding with a selection of birds, some hybrids, some purebreeds.  The smallholder identified a pale-ginger hen as something like a Highliner - it had beautiful pale cream tail feathers, but was otherwise very similar to a Calder Ranger (except that these have blackish tail feathers, I think).

If someone could confirm this, or put me right on the real name & spelling I'd be very grateful.  

At the moment I'm thinking of starting off with 2 Black Rock, 2 Hebden Black, 2 Speckledy + 2 of these really beautiful creatures, or 2 Calder Ranger (which had been my original plan until I saw these).  I'd be really grateful for any advice.  I'm planning on doing it with an Eglu Cube with the 1m extension.  The Omlet blurb says this this enough space for 10 birds, so I'm thinking of starting off with 8, and facing the inevitable loss of 1 or 2, to take me down to 6.

muntjac

geting chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:04 »
just one piece of advice here .... start with the 6 birds only those breeds are pretty big birds when full grown .im not against cubes or eglus given a persons space and circumstances etc  but i would stay with 6 for the time being you dont say if you have any experiance with birds .so i wil assume not ,,go slowly so as not to be dissapointed  :wink:  :D and welcome to the site  :)
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 14:28 »
Welcome Kay  :D

I'd agree with Munty !

I have an eglu with a standard run and only keep 2 hens in it.  I have no experience of the cube but a friend of mine has one with 7 medium sized hens and it's fine.  They do however free range her garden most of the time.

If you buy good birds there is no reason why you should lose two quickly, that would send me running back to the supplier  :!:

Let us know how you get on and do post some pictures

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 22:39 »
Bovans Goldline maybe?  We've got 6 POL's and they are brown with creamy whitey tail feathers and look similar to a Calder Ranger!

cluckingmad

Re: Highliner ? Please help a novice identify a bird ...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:18 »
Quote from: "kay"
The smallholder identified a pale-ginger hen as something like a Highliner - it had beautiful pale cream tail feathers, but was otherwise very similar to a Calder Ranger (except that these have blackish tail feathers, I think).

If someone could confirm this, or put me right on the real name & spelling I'd be very grateful.  

Hi Kay - I have 4 Hyline chickens.  They are absolutely adorable, good natured (and the same size as the other hybrid chickens you mentioned).  This site has a bit of info you might find useful:

http://www.rd1.com/web/content?in_section=10&in_item=1129&in_page=2325

or a bit more technical for my cup of tea:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/hyline-international/8/hyline-international
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

xx
What age bird would you suggest a first time novice should keep

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 19:59
by bantam novice
xx
Novice help please

Started by arwen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 21:59
by Lindeggs
xx
Best breed for novice

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 12:30
by compostqueen
xx
Bantam Novice please help

Started by pammie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 20:54
by pammie

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.