Parsnips for 25 December

• 20 Replies

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: Parsnips for 25 December
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 20:35 »
Thanks again for all your replies. 

We're under a wee bit of snow at the moment but I think it's to be milder on Thursday and there should be a thaw, so maybe I'll have a chance to check them out on Saturday all going well.  First thing I think we'll do is put straw around them - after making sure we've marked where they are as a mouse or some other visitor has been grazing on the leaves.  After that, we'll be weather forecast watching and take it from there.  Surely this winter can't bring the perpetual freeze of last - then, we couldn't get carrots out of tubs, so think parsnips out of the ground would have been mission impossible.

We've never grown parsnips before, and we have had a few frosts already - and have tasted a few already and, although small and definitely no show stoppers, they were really tasty - and before this, I would always have said I didn't like parsnips!

Thanks again for all the pointers - much appreciated

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 21:45 »

Last Christmas eve morning I went to pick the sprouts and they just dropped off the stalk as they were frozen solid and fell into 12 inches of snow.  I ended up running to the shops to buy some as I couldn't find enough of them in the snow  :nowink:

I do not have good memories of picking sprouts as a child, li`l me out in the frost and snow in my short trousers freezing my li`l bits off ! I always buy sprouts now ! :blink:

Got a heavy metal shafted groundwork fork for prising the snips out if the frost has gone
down more than a couple of inches also got long trousers +thermal underwear. :)

More frost needed here as the snips are fairly bland tasting at the moment.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19 »
Hi
Year before last I grew parsnips for the first time on heavy clay soil.  I protected them with a covering of straw and they were easy to lift when I needed them.  They'll still get a bit of frosting but won't be stuck fast in the clay.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 12:51 »
I just cover 3 or 4 with a piece of carpet with a cane next to it to show where it is in case we have snow
Paul

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 16:44 »
a double layer of cheap fleece over the parsnip bed, then mark where it is with bamboo canes etc. So if it does  freeze over,or get covered in thick snow you simply lift up the fleece (even if it shreds to tatters) and the ground below will be soft enough to dig through.

I do the same with Christmas spuds too and the carrots that I have still to pull

purplebean

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:57 »
Last year I wondered if I would get mine out, the top 2 - 3 inches of soil came off as a frozen slab and underneath the soil was fine and they came up easily  :lol:

xx
Raspberries in December

Started by farmerdave on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 12, 2007, 11:38
by gobs
xx
December plantings

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2006, 20:14
by muntjac
xx
december sowing

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 06, 2012, 19:06
by RosieMcGoomba
xx
Fruit trees now? (December)

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 09:57
by Benandbill

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.