Privacy

• 19 Replies

scottish_lass

Privacy
« on: November 27, 2011, 22:40 »
Hello Everyone,

I have recently acquired a plot and share with a good friend and we have no privacy. We would like to put something up to give us privacy but not sure what?
We thought about hedging and then decided that might prove too difficult to maintain so then thought about some raw materials, any suggestions? we do not want to block out too much sun as it may affect out plants hee hee!

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Privacy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 22:44 »
Apart from raspberry canes or lavender edging plots, there are no hedges on our site.
Privacy is not something I expect on the plot, I'm too busy talking to everyone else  ;)

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 23:36 »
Couldn't resist.

Have you thought about a hotel room

:) :) :) :) :)

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 23:36 »
Are you Scotland`s version of the naked gardeners? ;)
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 00:09 »
It might be helpful to describe what or who you want privacy from - are you in the middle of the city or on the outskirts surrounded and overlooked by a housing estate for example?  Or do you want privacy from neighbouring plots?  More details will hopefully give less humorous, but nevertheless, well intended,  replies  :D.  Good luck with your new plot by the way  :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59 »
You might need to read through your tenant's agreement first - some sites might not allow fences or hedges.  I have a little space behind the shed which is somewhere cool to sit during a hot sunny day, and I erected a little 4 foot high reed fence along the back boundary which also acts as a wind break and a little privacy from the plot behind (it doesn't block any light to the plot).  The alternative is to grow some tall plants (or maybe posts for beans etc) that would do the same.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23 »
I value the privacy I get from my lotty hedges but boy they're a huge amount of work. They act as a wildlife corridor and windbreak though. The birds appreciate the nesting space and my hedge is full of elderflower and berry, and damsons.  Hawthorn berries for the birds so everyone is happy.  Nettles grow at the base of the hedge which I retain but have to keep the top side of.  I even have a wildlife corner where the two hedges meet, where I have a log stack. It's all on black sheet mulch to keep weeds from taking over though  :) 

Much of the hedge is privet but the flowers are appreciated by bees etc and the dried cuttings make excellent kindling

scottish_lass

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56 »
Lmao! Well we are in a plot and there is a long path and most other plot holders stop to chat a lot and we just want some sort of screen so that when people walk by they won't see us working away. About 90% of other plot holders all have privacy and was just looking for ideas hee hee! Did think about sweet peas or some sort of climber.

scottish_lass

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:58 »
Yeah we have read our agreement and spoke to committee and they are in favour of us using something for privacy. Some suggested hedging and was going to establish some hedging but think it may prove difficult to maintain.

thanks everyone!

savbo

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:29 »
A woven willow screen - costs nothing once you find a source of willow withies, they take root and fill in with leaves, and I've never had any problem digging them up once they get too big..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 17:45 »
Willow is a nightmare on our site.  People plant it with good intentions of keeping it under control but ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 18:24 »
Raspberry canes would be a great idea - screeening and gorgeous fruit! Or you could train blackberries across a wire frame, or as you have said trelliss with some sort of climber. I have a little fence (well its about 4 and a half feet) Just the right hight for most of the lod boys on my plot somthing to lean on whilst gossiping away!!!

What ever you decide on I would try to pick something that is easy to maintain and doesnt take loads of trimming every 6 weeks or so in the summer to keep it under control. We Aren't allowed willow on our site for the reason mentioned by Yorkie. 
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 19:02 »
Raspberry canes would be a great idea - screeening and gorgeous fruit! Or you could train blackberries across a wire frame, or as you have said trelliss with some sort of climber. I have a little fence
Really like this idea.  We've got red, white and black berries.   Interspersed with climbing plants (clematis personal favourites) or rambling - our old rambling rose is a real star throughout the summer.  I read on your other thread that you thought about jasmine - winter jasmine is really easy to grow from a cutting.  We also had a great display of mixed sunflowers along a boundary fence.  A neighbour had a great display of sweet peas on a temporary home made cane frame - we always have a mice problem, so have never been too successful with sweet peas.  But, its an idea to remember that you don't always have to have permanent trellis, using canes or similar, you can vary what summer planting you where.

I guess your only problem with a fruit 'hedge' would be your neighbours stopping more for a nibble as well as a chat   :lol:
Best of luck  :)

scottish_lass

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28 »
Thanks very much everyone!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 10:19 »
In summer you could have a long row of runner beans. You won't be up at the lottie so much in the colder months, and neither will the other people who just want a chat.

Page created in 1.275 seconds with 38 queries.