Asparagus

• 28 Replies

sawnee

• Experienced Member
Asparagus
« on: October 06, 2007, 15:38 »
I want to grow some asparagus on my plot, would it be ok to use the raised bed I have got pumpkins in at the moment?
  The bed is 8x4 and raised about 6".
  Before the pumpkins went in the bed was well dug over and about 6 bags of well rotted manure went in.
  What is the best type to grow?
  Is it better to grow from seed or buy crowns?
  How many can I get in this bed?
(as you might have guessed Im a complete novice, only had my plot since May)
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 16:50 »
Hi Sawnee! I don't think the bed will be big enough - depending on how many crowns you are thinking of growing ofcourse. The crowns need to be spaced about 18 inches apart and the rows about 3 foot apart. I would go for one year old crowns rather than seed, although the seed will be a much cheaper option. You just have to wait an extra year before you can harvest any of the asparagus if you grow it from seed.

scooby

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35 »
 :unsure: Can I grow asparagus in containers?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:08 »
:unsure: Can I grow asparagus in containers?

no.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20 »
You can grow in containers - but they need to be very deep ones as asparagus roots go very deep and wide. Don't expect year on year crops tho - good ground usually with a sandy soil is the only way to get regualr crops. This advice came to me from a professional asparagus grower in Shropshire whom I bought some crowns from - they are all sprouting - but I accept this is likely to be a short term growing project

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 14:37 »
You will get 10 crowns in your bed. Buy crowns rather than seed and choose one of the male only varieties (e.g. Gijlim) as they are higher yielding and do not produce seed. Crowns will also produce a harvest sooner. Some varieties allow you to take a small harvest in the first year. There is still time to plant as the breeders hold them in cold store to stop them sprouting.
I purchased some from these people and they were excellent
www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 15:05 »
Sawnee, are you saying that you want to plant asparagus at the same time you're growing pumpkins in the bed?
If so, it's not a good idea as the huge leaves of pumpkins will shade the already struggling asparagus as well as steal needed nutrition from the asparagus roots. Pumpkins are heavy feeders.

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 18:06 »
Hi Trillium and Salmo, the thread I posted was over a year old, scooby must have been going over old threds to look for information (well done you :)) I have now got two beds going nowone was from seed supplied by DD (Thanks again Dave) and the other is crowns supplied by Wilkinsons (cheap as chips  ;)) both are going well and both beds could have given a few spears this year but thought it best to leave them alone to get their strengh up. Roll on next spring  8)
PS. I have about 6 plants in each bed.

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 19:52 »
In the interest of continuing this ancient thread that has been dragged up from the depths of .... urm ... somewhere ancient .... :roll:

Do I still have time to sow asparagus seed? I'm not bothered by the extra years wait, and I can always cull them down to just males for far less than buying crowns next year

¥

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 20:00 »
You can still direct seed them in the garden with markers so that you can determine the success rate. Planted now, they'll have all summer to put up some foliage for food.

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 20:08 »
Excellent, that's all I needed to hear, I have a bed I can use for them but it wouldn't be suitable for crowns .... mainly because it'll be under a shed sometime in the next couple of years :tongue2:

¥

DavidT

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 20:16 »
From seed sowing, to proper cropping, 5 years. I would rather pay £2.99 at Wilkinsons for 3 crowns.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 20:27 »
Each to their own & it's THREE years to cropping.

I grew 39 crowns from 40 seeds given to me off a neighbours plants. Did it as a little project. Cost me & him nothing & saved quite a lot even at Wilco's prices.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 20:27 »
Crowns are (usually) just 1 year old right? in which case I'd have the same wait next year when I've finally made their permanent bed  if I bought crowns ;)

¥

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 20:36 »
Yabba are you intending to grow the seeds and then transplant them later?

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
asparagus

Started by Laura on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 20:33
by cawdor2001

Page created in 0.749 seconds with 37 queries.