Our first egg!!!!

• 7 Replies

tracy66

Our first egg!!!!
« on: November 22, 2011, 21:11 »
Hi everyone

Today we got our first egg from our lovely girls! We think it's from Julie the light sussex hybrid as she has by quite a way the most developed comb and wattles and the egg is an orange colour - we were so excited!

They are being wormed at the moment (started Sunday) and just wanted to check it's ok to eat the egg whilst they are on flubenvet 1%. The label says it's ok but just wanted to check with you guys.

Here is a little pic of our clever girls egg!!

Thanks
Tracy & Tony
IMG_0411.JPG
3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

Suzybat

Re: Our first egg!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 23:21 »
Congratulations, my light Sussex bantam was the first to lay out of my flock of six, shes a machine and has laid nearly every day since,  her eggs are so nice, just wormed mine on same thing and are eating eggs still.

Pudding cloth

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43 »
Many congratulations! Isn't it exciting when you get your first egg?! When Betty laid her first I was convinced that one of the family had planted it in the coop as a joke! It was sitting smack bang in the centre of the doorway. She's much better at laying them in the right place now.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:48 »
Congratualtions! I remember the excitement when my first egg arrived, and the photos followed write through to cracking and frying. I still feel a certain something every time I get another, and am up to 80 now (I'm a bit of a saddo, numbering each in pencil when it's laid -maybe I'll stop at 100 - or maybe not!!!)
BG

kellysbarefoot

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 22:20 »
Ah congrats, were new to chicken keeping and awaiting patiently for that first egg to be laid :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 19:12 »
Oh what a perfect first egg!  That photo is just stunning - although a little poignant with just one egg in that lovely holder!  :lol:

How many in your family?  How will you go about sharing that first egg?  ???  No arguing I hope!

tracy66

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 22:18 »
Thanks for all the lovely comments :)

We've now got a second egg as well, looks exactly the same as the first.
Luckily there are just the 2 of us though our retired greyhound has her eye on it I think :D

funkychook

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 13:56 »
Me too. I have 4 girls for just over 2 months now. 1 Red Hampshire hybrid, Buff Orpington, a Maran and a Burford Brown.

The RH and the Maran are now laying. I got a double yolk off the RH a few days back it was one big egg lol ouch. The Maran lays dark brown eggs and the yolk is really orange.

Its sooooo exciting when I got my first egg my neighbours could hear me lol. The 2 have been laying now for 2 weeks on and off. I dont think the BO will lay until spring, but the burford is looking more sexually mature now and eating well so could have one off her soon too.

My goodness you cant beat a fresh egg can you.  :)

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 36 queries.