bullying chickens

• 2 Replies

peggygate

bullying chickens
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:12 »
  hi all,  i have had my chickens for over a year and a half, i got them all at the same time, they have always got on well with no problems ........  till yesterday .......  two of my hens started pecking and pulling the feathers out of one of my other hens, they have drawn blood on her and wouldnt leave her alone,  i have seperated them, could anyone tell me what the reason for this could have been,  i never thought chickens could be like this,  thankyou,  peggygate :( :( :(

dinosaw

Re: bullying chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 14:36 »
Sorry to hear about that, it sounds to me like your bullied chicken could possibly be coming down with something, chickens spot illness in each other long before it is visible to us and are quite ruthless with each other. I'm sure other members will have some other possible reasons for you as well.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: bullying chickens
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 20:13 »
I'm with dinosaw on this one.  I think your chickens treated each other fine when they were all equal, but they have spotted some kind of weakness in this one and started to bully her.

I would suggest you keep the bullied one apart from the others for a few days.  Is there somewhere you can keep her where the others can see her but not get at her?  Keep a close eye on her for any sign of illness or injury.  Give her plenty of good food to boost her up. 

Also put some antiseptic spray on the areas where the others have drawn blood.  The purple spray mentioned a lot on here is good, as it is both antiseptic and disguises the colour of blood so the others aren't attracted to peck her again.

xx
bullying

Started by tigerparisviolet on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 08:18
by tigerparisviolet
xx
Bullying

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 11:33
by Aunt Rhody
sad
Bullying help!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 16:33
by redmolly
sad
bullying

Started by shez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 12:34
by too many girls

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.