How many eggs?

• 5 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
How many eggs?
« on: November 15, 2011, 17:47 »
Do chickens ever lay more than one egg a day?
I've had 4 POL hybrids for a month or so and regularly get 3 eggs a day. One has been off lay for 3 1/2 weeks. Today I get 5 eggs! They've been locked in their fixed run all day so I know none were from yesterday daytime.
I put them to bed about 5pm last night after dark, and I picked up 2 of the 5 eggs at 8am this morning. Could those 2 have been from last night, or could one or more birds have laid 2 eggs today?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How many eggs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 20:06 »
It is said that they only can lay one egg per day.  However when one of mine sometimes lays 2 which is usually a double yolker gone wrong.  They are soft shelled when this happens.  I would say that it is possible but that is just my opinion.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 22:33 »
I've had all sorts of weird laying when they're getting settled into it. The one off lay may have laid last night and again this morning.
I deliberately got hens that lay different coloured eggs so I know who's doing what!!!!

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:24 »
Good idea viettaclark! I have brown and lighter brown. Thought I had it sussed till one started laying 2-tone eggs - lighterbrown at one end and darker at the other!!
They've also just finished a week of flubenvet, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I suppose humans aren't predictable, so why should chooks be!
BG

Derculees

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 22:57 »
After noticing I was getting 3 eggs and/or double yolkers from 2 Speckledies on a number of occasions last month (the pullets came in to lay 2I Sept) my B/Day, I decided to keep a record (1 of them is laying an extra tea time egg and 1 of them is laying a larger egg).

1  Nov  3     9  Nov  2
2         2    10        2
3         3    11        2
4         2    12        2
5         1    13        2
6         3    14        2
7         1    15        1
8         2    16        2
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38 »
When they first start laying they sometimes get it wrong - but soon sort themselves out :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 36 queries.