Cukoo Cockral

• 5 Replies

bonney99

Cukoo Cockral
« on: November 09, 2011, 15:56 »
Hi i wondering if anyone new the life span of a cukoo cockral. I bought two around ten years ago. Sadly one died three years ago but the other is still with me. He is very loyal and loving but he is looking very sad and his tail is always down. He misses his friend and i wondered whether his behaviour is age related or he needs a new buddy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Cukoo Cockral
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 15:59 »
does he have lady friends? Introducing another cockerel will create all sorts of problems and lead to a lot of blood being shed. They will fight especially when the newcomer tries to show he is the top boy.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bonney99

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 16:34 »
Tnx for replying. No he has no ladies as I don't want to keep adding to my pet over load. If it meant his happiness i would of course. He does come in the house and sit with us but he is very protective of me and if anyone were to come by me he attacks them, which is ok! He wont stay outside in the garden unless im with him so he spends most of his time in an open shed pen which is 6ft by 6ft with natural day light bulbs. He has a huge garden but wont use it.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:02 »
I suspect he is very sad being on his own. They are gregarious creatures and need their own kind. You need to consider though his age, he is old and you have clearly looked after him well. Getting a hen may well leave you with one hen in time. Would getting 2 hens seriously add to your load? Although it sounds as though he sees you as his hen :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 13:49 »
People may think I am stark raving mad but I seriously think your cockerel is seeing you as a sort of hen replacement. Your mention of how protective he is with you and that he won't go into the garden without you, to my mind points to this.

I haven't heard about this type of behaviour specifically in chickens before but I do know that birds can exhibit this and become attached to a human when one of their own type isn't available (it happened to my father with a parrot my parents once had and I have heard of other cases)

When lonely, the fact that you don't have feathers, a beak or even remotely look like a bird apparently is not a problem to the avian mind  :ohmy:!

I would consider getting him a couple of girls to look after or maybe even rehome him to somebody who has hens (but no cockerel of their own).

Let us know how you get on.
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 13:53 »
cockerels or other birds that attack people for coming close to their hareem (and yes you appear to be his) can do a lot of damage. We had two guinea fowl like this and they used to draw blood so they had to be culled before they injured a child.

xx
Should I have a cockral

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 12:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Rules for keeping a cockral??

Started by Helenw999 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 23:39
by babe
xx
cockral lifting legs high

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 19:01
by phil-c

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 28 queries.