So upset out WS lost the fight, sad lesson learnt :0(

• 9 Replies

rosie14

So upset out WS lost the fight, sad lesson learnt :0(
« on: November 06, 2011, 17:38 »
I posted here just over a week ago re worms. I had noticed some red bits in my Welsummers' poop which was bowel lining. I know this as it was photographed and detailed on the poop thread on here (so helpful thankyou) it's normal to have some from time to time. However this was followed with a fairly large worm in her poop  :tongue2:

I spoke to people here and consulted our vet and commenced worming with 1% Flubenvet. She wasn't eating and I was having to put it in porrige which she liked and also having to physically (forcefully) feed her medicated mixed corn and pellets dampened so the powder would stick. Initially she passed other small worms and soon perked up.

She wasn't her normal flighty self with her tail down and seemed disinterested in food apart from porrige but didn't appear too bad either, I thought/hoped she was going to make it as it wasn't all doom and gloom, but sadly I was wrong. I wanted to worm the hens after reading and learning about it on here but my DH didn't, he didn't feel they were at risk really.  :blink:

Lesson learnt at the cost of our young hens as we lost our GL Orpie just a couple of weeks ago prob. the same thing, bith under 1 year  :ohmy: we now need to source some friends for our lonely, lost and forlorn young hen, she's only about 11 weeks old or so, not having much luck so far today  :(

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Re: So upset out WS lost the fight, sad lesson learnt :0(
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 17:49 »
Feeling your pain, things can only get better!!!

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 19:22 »
So sorry to hear about your losses Rosie,  :(
I do hope you find some companions for your lonely only soon.
Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 20:00 »
So sorry Rosie.  Hopefully you will be able to find her some companions soon.  Always best to worm new stock as it can't harm even if your supplier says they have been done.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45 »
Really sorry to hear about you losing your hens - I can imagine how upset you are.

I think it is worth worming hens 2 or 3 times a year as a standard practice. If your girls were anything like mine then they probably enjoyed eating slugs, snails and worms - which, if I am correct can all carry worms themselves which will be passed onto your hens.

Inbetween worming keep an eye on their droppings for any worms as if you think about it, you can finish worming them 1 day and they in theory could then pick some up the next day
Helen

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 21:49 »
thankyou, you are right, I am very sad for our mistake and I wish I had put my foot down grrrrr.

Funny I was thinking that too re worming as we clearly have an infected area. Would my Guinea pigs and rabbit be at risk from the same worms does anybody know? Oh or the dog?!

My hubby has picked up a smashing Bluebell 16 weeks old today woo hoo our baby GLO will be lonely no more!  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 22:41 »
Sure I read on here somewhere that the worms dogs and hens get are different.  Sure someone will correct this (mis)-information if I am wrong!  Don't know about guinea pigs and rabbits.

Great news about your new girl, hope that they will become great pals.  :)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 16:25 »
Sorry to hear about your girl :(   All the best with your new Bluebell :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 19:31 »
I've just adopted a 'rescue' with questionable health so worming starts tomorrow - you've reassured me it's the right thing to do.
Wishing you all the best.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

diamond_lil

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:22 »
So sorry to hear about your Wellsummer. We have one, Wilma, who is now about 9 years old and I would hate to lose her.  You've reminded me our hens need worming.

By the way, we've got 4 Bluebells, and they are so pretty and very friendly.

xx
A lesson learnt.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 20:21
by orchardlady
xx
Is it a learnt trait?

Started by PhilDotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 14:25
by ANHBUC
xx
biology lesson

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 16:26
by kizza
sad
Quail - a salient lesson.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 21:28
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 36 queries.