Don't know what to do with Flossie

• 4 Replies

sue anne

Don't know what to do with Flossie
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:21 »
I have 23 hens, 19 are hybrids plus 3 Exchequer Leghorns all from Granny Annieand 1 Lavender Araucana.  Flossie is my lavender Araucana which I hatched from 3 of Joyfulls eggs about 18months ago.  I hatched two but Freddie went to a new home.  Flossie is tiny compared to the others and she is bullied.  She has always been bottom of the pecking order and she knows how to skirt round the others so they don't peck at her and there are a number of feeding and drinking places she can get to.  She sleeps in the nest box now, she used to perch but again was pecked.  I had six new hybrids this year and I thought that Floss would rise in the pecking order but she didn't, they go for her too.  For no apparent reason they will suddenly make a beeline for her and peck at her.  I am considering moving her into a pen of her own but not sure if she will be lonely or glad to be away from them.  They are in a very big penned area so she can hide away and they do free range in the afternoons.  Would I be better finding her a new home.  She has finished moulting and has  lovely new feathers but is not laying and hasn't done for some while, unless I just can't find them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Don't know what to do with Flossie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27 »
sadly Sue Anne there is always one at the bottom of the pecking order and Flossie appears to be yours (perhaps because she is different and on her own  :(). I think she would be miserable in a pen on her own as Araucanas do like to be able to roam.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27 »
No expert... but would putting her in her own area with a couple of bantams work  :unsure:

sue anne

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18 »
I did wonder about getting two other banties and start them off with Flossie in a separate area.  I will have a look and see if there is anyone in this area where I could get some from.  Thanks.
That is the thing that was bothering me Joy that she would be sad on her own.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:28 »
Have pm'd you  :)

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 37 queries.