Onions in raised bed (white rot)

• 4 Replies

MoreWhisky

Onions in raised bed (white rot)
« on: November 03, 2011, 20:37 »
I have just about given up trying to grow onions on my plot, as white rot takes so many out, so i just grow a couple rows for the sake of it every year.

Luckily i have just been given 2 of those plastic raised beds (about 6inches high) from a friend who has sadly decided to give his lotty up. My idea is to use these to grow onions in by  filling them with bought in compost.  i would also try my best to keep the contents clean and not walk on them etc.

I know eventually the white rot would get in/through/under somehow but as a short term measure would this get me some onions? any advice tips or any comments on this would be really welcome!

Cheers MW

I just want some onions  :(
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

AndyRVTR

Re: Onions in raised bed (white rot)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 20:46 »
I had major problems with my onions this year too... again, like you down to white rot.
I did grow some in containers which I kept totally separate from the affected ones and they were fine
Next year I'll be planting onions in a totally different part of the plot that hasnt even been dug over yet and I'll see what results I get then.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 20:51 »
I have had to grow onions in raised beds for a few years and they always grow well, even with very little space for crop rotation. I have not met white rot yet but I guess I may do in time. :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 22:13 »
Worth a try although as white rot travels through soil, you may find that it works its way upwards through water capillary action.

If your friend had white rot on his plot I'd advise that you sterilise the bed frame in Jeyes fluid or similar before putting them on the plot.  And don't walk on the beds once you've filled them with clean soil / compost.

And make sure you maintain scrupulous hygiene with your tools - if you dig with a fork or trowel on the plot, then use the tool on the beds without cleaning, you'll transfer the pathogens in immediately.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bigben

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:07 »
Like you I am also finding that my soil has white rot. So far over half of my beds have shown it so I am not optimistic about the others. I read about a suggestion to fight it by using garlic powder watered into the soil. The theory is that this fools the spores into germinating thinking they are going to impregnate the garlic. Because there is no garlic for to host them they die. So the number of spores is reduced. If you water the beds you are not using for onions/ garlic with the garlic solution the theory is that after a few years they should be useable for growing onions.
I have started doing this just this year so will let you know how it goes. The raised bed idea should buy you some time but I think the white rot will come up thru the soil and eventually effect the raised bed.
Good luck!

xx
Cauliflowers & Cabbages leaves turning white and whithering in raised bed

Started by yandoo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 13:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
white rot on my onions?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 14:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
white rot on onions

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 20:53
by vegmandan
xx
ONIONS - White rot ????

Started by birmancats on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 18:00
by birmancats

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.