Allotment with damp problems

• 37 Replies

Drowned

Allotment with damp problems
« on: November 01, 2011, 17:06 »
I have finally been given a lottie, only £15 a year! Only issue is it does have a tendency to flood a little and I really need advice on how to keep it under control. I have taken a picture of it this week and I should be taking control of it sometime next week.

How should I go about mopping up the puddles? Also would it be sensible to keep a foot or so of water to keep the slugs and things away?

Drowned

Re: Allotment with damp problems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 17:09 »

there you go! ^

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 17:36 »
Please tell me that's a pond and the rest of the plot is much better drained?  :ohmy:

What proportion of your plot does that water represent, and is that a typical level of drainage / water - or had you just had a monsoon the previous day?

If that is the typical condition of the plot after any rain, I'd be seriously concerned and actually I think it's quite irresponsible for it to have been let out.  Plants do not cope with drowning conditions for any length of time (except rice!).

You will need to find out why the water is there: high water table, local stream, very clay soil which has created a 'pan' (hard layer) beneath the surface through which water cannot drain, it's the bottom of a hill, etc.

I also suspect that if you ask neighbouring plot holders that they may well tell you that nobody has ever managed to grow properly on there.  Or, on the positive side, they may be able to give you good advice about how previous tenants did in fact garden well.  They are likely to be your best source of information, other than the person who showed you round (did they give any advice or information?).

Usually raised beds are recommended but given that apparent depth of water I'm not sure how effective they'd be unless you spent lots of money on deep sides and lots of extra top soil.  Depending on the reasons for the water, inserting proper drainage may be necessary.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 17:51 »
That looks like an established pond with all the reeds and water margin plants.  Maybe you should get some Koi Carp, I hear they make good eating.
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 18:02 »
Please tell me that is a joke photo  :ohmy:

No way can it be an allotment
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 18:30 »
possible use as a paddy field looks like john rambo could be lurking in the reeds  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 18:31 »
possible use as a paddy field looks like john rambo could be lurking in the reeds  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Drowned

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 18:41 »
It is not a joke, I was a little stunned when I saw it myself. I have another photo here which is essentially with the previous photo behind me and looking down the rest of the allotment. 

I haven’t managed to speak to anyone else at the actual allotment yet! The only conversation I have had was when I collected the keys and it was mentioned that a lot of plots fill with water and in the past it has led to many potholders giving up.

So genuinely can anything grow in the conditions present? And how should I go about draining the area?

I did notice that the ground was rock hard with these cracks running through the mud that I can only describe as looking like the top of chocolate cake when it comes out of the oven.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 18:43 »
Whereabouts in the country are you? Perhaps you can add this to your profile too please.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 18:45 »
So these photos are recent?  Whereabouts in the country are you and how much rain have you had over the last few days?

Is this a council site or private?  Did you see the plot before agreeing to take it on?  Are quite a few of the other plots similarly affected?

From your description of the soil it sounds as though you have a very heavily clay soil.  This will go rock hard when dry and fail to drain when wet.  

But I have never, ever seen a plot like that and frankly I think it is a rip-off to take money from you and expect you to grow anything in there without any a) advice and b) assistance in materials and/or labour to rectify the situation.  I'm quite angry on your behalf.

You need to find out the cause of the water before making a specific plan to tackle the drainage.

jmc1949

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 18:55 »
Personally, I would ask for my money back. There is no way that should be offered as a plot.
Jenny

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 18:58 »
I think somebody is ripping you off here.  No point in spending good money draining it without knowing where the water is coming from.  I'd walk away from this - sorry

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 19:02 »
suppose if you like ducks....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 19:22 »
There is a site near here that floods every winter, right down by the river.

Some of the plots are used, and very fertile whilst usabel, but not flooded at this time in the year.

Draining these would not actually be possible  :blink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 19:30 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's 1st November not 1st April  ::)

xx
Any ideas for damp allotment site?

Started by jockster on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 20:29
by Jim T
xx
Problems on our allotment

Started by wendyalice on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 14:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
help my new allotment has old problems

Started by rozzy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 08:57
by Salmo
xx
How damp do rasberries like to be?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 15:28
by Trillium

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 38 queries.