• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Allotment with damp problems
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 19:30 »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's 1st November not 1st April  ::)

Ohhh yesssss  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Drowned

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 19:49 »
I am based in the very north Norfolk area, I did not view this actual plot before taking it on but I do live locally and so I assumed an allotment is an allotment?!  I’m thinking about ringing the phone number that I was given when I took this allotment on, is it too late to ring now? Should I do it in the morning?

I visited the plot as soon as I received my keys and I did notice quite a few other allotments around me seemed to have the same problem although my plot does seem to lie at the bottom of a steap vear downwards.

In terms of the weather I have noticed that lately in the day it has been quite hot with sudden downpours of rain lasting no more than 30 minutes,  and I’m always waking up to puddles out of the window so I guess it’s raining at night too!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 21:20 »
Ring them in the morning and complain.

Ask to go back on the waiting list for a plot that is capable of being used as an allotment.

If they bluster, assuming it's not a private site (where anything goes), then ask them how they think the particular plot fits the definition of an allotment garden under the allotment acts when it is not capable of sustaining the growing of vegetables or any other plants.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gandan57

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 21:21 »
Well at least you haven`t got a weed problem. ;)
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

sarajane

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 21:42 »
I really think I would be asking for my £15 back.  I would be devasted if I spent all year digging, weeding planting etc for it all to be submerged under that amount of water.  The authorities really do have a cheek to ask for hard earned cash for what is essentially a pond.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 21:47 »
I really think I would be asking for my £15 back.  I would be devasted if I spent all year digging, weeding planting etc for it all to be submerged under that amount of water.  The authorities really do have a cheek to ask for hard earned cash for what is essentially a pond.

that seems about right  ::)

Drowned

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 20:28 »
I have finally had a LONG chat with the allotment secretary and it has been agreed that the allotment is not worth any rent while it is in its current state! However they would want it used and managed and I want an allotment so we have agreed that I will not have to pay any rent for this year and half rent for the year following that   :D

SOOOO.... How would you advise on clearing large amounts of water?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 20:50 »
Wait until winter, then rent it out as an Ice Rink...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 20:52 »
I think everybody gave you very good advice when you asked the first time.  

I really wish you well, but I hate to see you throwing good money, time and effort at this - as obviously others have failed many times before you.

I can only say again,  spend no money shifting water (and i dont even know where you would drain it to as the photos look like you are surrounded by other people's land) and research where the water is coming from first.

Good luck

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 20:54 »
I'm in agreement with the others. Those reeds surrounding the water area indicate that the water has been long standing and not easily fixed. If the people want that allotment used, then they should do the fixing up of drainage, etc. No way should you be expected to do so because it really would involve a big differ, pipes, and truckloads of soil....which would then overflood all your neighbours who would be very unhappy and likely declare war.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 20:56 »
They have seen you coming I'm afraid.

At the very least they should put you back onto the waiting list -- at the top

Sorry to be so blunt but there is absolutely no way this is viable as an allotment.

Ring them back tomorrow --please!

SkipRat

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 21:51 »
I,m afraid If you attempt to work that garden it will end in tears. Give them it back with a "thanks but no thanks", and wait for a more suitable plot...
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 23:25 »
if there is a manhole or any sort of place the water can flow to...you could always bury a few waterpipes with plenty holes drilled so the water seeps into them then drains away to wherever the outlet maybe....or even a trench filled with pebbles where the water is at its deepest and have that drain to a manhole/waterway.

or if its a council ask if they could help you out with a solution similar.

if there is no where for it to go im afraid your fighting a losing battle unless you raise the entire allotment to a bowl so the water runs off elsewhere (but this would be very expensive)

bigben

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55 »
It is hard to say from the photo you provided. Is that the norm for the plot or had you just watched it rain for a couple of days solid? If the norm for the plot is standing water then You have little chance of sorting it. If however the picture represents a flood caused by  unusually wet conditions and the water is fairly shallow then it might be possible to do something. Your neighbour seems to have more on his allotment - have a look at what he is doing and ask him if cultivation is possible.

If things are better than the photo suggests and you are determined to give it a go then consider a drainage ditch all round your plot and a fairly large wildlife pond. Use the soil dug up from the ditch and pond to help raise the level in raised beds. You would need to first dig the beds - dig out the top soil and put to one side. Then do anything you can to raise the level and improve drainage. Add some sharp sand, chuck in any stones you find - even bricks at the bottom will raise the level, If you can get manure free then get all you can to help raise the level in the beds, then top up by mixing in the soil from the drainage ditch and the top soil you removed.

It is going to be a load of work and I would not bother unless your picture represents the plot after lots of heavy rain. If the picture is the norm than you are likely to be wasting your time. Good luck!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 14:07 »
I still think this is a wind up, but if its not the only hope you've got is to hire a JCB and dig a deep pond using the soil extracted to raise  the level of the rest of the plot.

xx
Any ideas for damp allotment site?

Started by jockster on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 20:29
by Jim T
xx
help my new allotment has old problems

Started by rozzy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 08:57
by Salmo
xx
Problems on our allotment

Started by wendyalice on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 14:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
How damp do rasberries like to be?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 15:28
by Trillium

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 38 queries.