Does this absolute beginners wk1 plan make sense?

• 20 Replies

Totty

Re: Does this absolute beginners wk1 plan make sense?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:48 »
unless your plot is covered in thick weed that cannot be either pulled up or hoed off, i would leave the round up idea. spend time digging  the weeds out, or hoeing, and leave the soil you will be planting stuff in next year rough, if it has been neglected a bit, see if you can get hold of some rotted down farmyard manure and spread it over. The winter rain will help get the goodies from the manure into the soil, as will the worms you draw in, the frost will help break down any large clumps. When spring arrives you can rotavate if you like and you will have a nicely nourished soil with a fine tilth due to the large clumps being hit down by winter weather.
 Also, although we are all keen to get stuff in the ground and growing, some things are better that others for overwintering in my opinion. Peas are a pain in my experience, food is scarce for wildlife and a row of nice young peas means you will need to cover them to keep pests off. Also i have found overwintering varietys are not as tasty as spring sown varietys, so the couple of weeks earlier cropping is not worth the winter of hassle in my opinion.

Totty

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 20:30 »
Cheers for that Totty.

The Mother-in-Law has already treated us to a fleeced cloche, large enough to cover a couple of rows of peas, that should help.  As it happens I'm no great fan of peas anyway, but to have one little corner growing anything (no matter how ineffectively), whilst we do that heavy work, is perhaps more for keeping the spirits up than for the food at the end   :)

It seems we actually get sporadic manure deliveries from a local stables, but I'm going to have to be quick to get it when it does come.

Have discovered today that the riverside, gently sloping, allotment floods to within 12mtrs of my plot (covering at least one row of plots).  Looks like some raised beds are going to be needed for my shallots, garlic & onions in a few weeks (was even offered a supply of wood to build them by a fellow plot holder).

Was able to borrow a rotavator (from same peeps that offered me the wood), as they had brought theirs up today.  OH was sent to B&Q for some manure to plough in (turns out all they had was chicken manure pellets, but at least it's something) so my little starter bed is almost ready to go.  :D

Three of us on the plot today.  Able to clear a surprising amount with extra hands!

Not a bad week 1  :)

PS.  I also discovered today what deadly nightshade looks like, we seem to have quite a bit  >:(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 21:25 by Bodmass »
Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:52 »
Bodmass can't quite work out from your post if you plan on sowing the peas now?

There's a couple of great articles on the site regarding what you can do on your plot each month http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

And a veg growing guide advising when to plant certain veg http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/index.php

Faff free zone!

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 15:28 »
Yeah, I'm planning on getting some peas down under a fleeced cloche this week.

Cheers, but yeah I have read those guides  :)

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52 »
Yeah, I'm planning on getting some peas down under a fleeced cloche this week.

Cheers, but yeah I have read those guides  :)

Ok mate best of luck with them  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19 »
Hi Bodmass

On one of the sites near here the river water level rises every year and floods some of the plots, but by using raised beds mostly people further over manage to get some overwintering crops like parsnips and leeks etc OK. Thise that are flooded just have to have adifferent growing plan I guess, but the soil is very fertile

We are lucky that the flood plain of the Thames is below the level of our site (just!) and so most years the water table is a few feet below ground (whew!)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Newbie in every sense of the word!!

Started by solo-bell on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 16:05
by noshed
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 15:39
by Brummie
xx
another absolute beginner

Started by Janet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2006, 00:27
by Beanzie
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by greenhorn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:45
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 4.379 seconds with 37 queries.