Improving the ground for next years spuds

• 20 Replies

bigben

Re: Improving the ground for next years spuds
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:04 »
Well - like most gardening issues there seems to be a range of opinion. I am going to try to finish building and fill up my leaf mould cage for the following year but for this year I think I might:
Dig my spud trenches now and make them deep. Layer the bottom with a mix of mowed leaves and shredded paper soaked in comfrey tea into which I have chucked some chicken poo to help ofset any nitrogen used up as they rot, then partly back fill the trenches. In the spring I can then chuck some more chicken pellets and comfrey tea and plant the spuds before fully backfilling. Hopefully this will get them off to a better start then the fairly poor soil I seem to have at the moment. If nothing else it should hold water better for the spuds.

The following year I should be able to use the fully rotted leaf mould and in the meantime do a bit of research on green manures.

Thanks for the replies.

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34 »
 i grow quite a crop of spuds each season included as part of my crop rotation some  parts of our Lottie is heavy ground i've tried many ways of improving the soil prior to setting my potatoes :unsure :unsure:

in  2010  i tried the organic way it wasn't a great success so i went back to traditional in 2011 using a potash based fertilizer this season has been the best ever for my potato crop i grew Desiree and an colleen but the Desiree for outgrew the colleen large red Tate's no blight very few small ones :)

i can only put this down to using this type of fert because this particular plot had horse dung spread two seasons ago despite a dry start they really did well  :D :D :D

SkipRat

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 11:33 »
Leaf mould while been a great soil conditioner really hasn,t a great deal of nutrients in it. If you struggle to get manures to your site, another option is to grow comfrey. Comfrey, I,m a big advocate of the plant. It can be used to line trenches, as an activator for compost heaps, comfrey tea as a liquid feed. and my favourite comfrey extract, to be diluted with water when needed and keeps well into the following year in a bottle. The tap root get pretty deep, enabling it to get at minor minerals (magnesium, Boron etc) which are important to growing plants.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 17:25 »
Talking about improving the ground... Today I built a compost heap, mainly for my horse manure to rot down. I get loads from my sons horse.. I will be growing a patch of comfrey as well to add to it along with other greens from home and byproducts of the plot.   Basically 2 pallets long and 1 pallet wide. I've got to start somewhere to let the HM start to rot down.

Question... should I cover it and regulate the watering myself? My view is that it will get toooo wet from our winter rains and not dry out enough..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 18:24 »
If you don't cover it, there is a possibility that rain will leach the nutrients down and out  :ohmy:

Also, covering it helps it rot faster as the heat builds up better  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 22:16 »
yes - just as I thought..

xx
Improving the ground ...

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 21:26
by Yorkie
xx
last years onion sets still in the ground

Started by rob5495 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 22:32
by rob5495
lamp
Last years spuds

Started by Brassicas999 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 13:48
by moose
xx
Last years' spuds

Started by Beklet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 15:43
by Trillium

Page created in 0.9 seconds with 36 queries.