Securing the coop

• 4 Replies

clairerey

Securing the coop
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:10 »
At the moment our coop and run is quite secure with blocks dug down all the way around but we are making a bigger run and i would like to extend what they have at the moment without too much having to be done, just until the new one is finished after Christmas.
Do i really need to dig down more blocks or can i just put patio slabs all the way around it? would mr fox bother digging under and across a paving slab?
this would make the temporary thing much quicker and easier if anyone thinks it would be fine, if not then to the spade i go :)
claire x

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Securing the coop
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 13:48 »
Best get the spade out.  I had a fox tunnel six feet to get into my run  last year!

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:04 »
Hi claire, i have moved my coop from concrete onto the grass behind the shed, but have put some slabs down so fox can't get in, you don't have to dig down as long as the slabs are underneath or something strong and heavy.

I am putting chicken wire fence around the coop of about 15 feet long and 10 feet wide so they don't mess up the garden anymore.

now i just need some polythene sheet to cover around the run to keep the cold air out and the water.

mo

clairerey

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 16:47 »
thanks for the reply :)
Do you mean to put the coop and the whole run onto slabs? I still want them to have a big grassy/muddy area to scratch around in (as i'm at work all day, so they can't free range much) so wanted to just put some slabs around the perimeter of the run. Guess this can't be done, as mon200 says? or is that what you meant you were doing? sorry im being a brainache today :D
claire

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 18:13 »
Its ok i worry too much for mt chooks too. I meant put the whole thing onto slabs which i have done but make a little playing area outside the run, im going to put a chickenwire fence around the coop as the run isnt big enough. My run is about 7-8 feet long and i've got 5 birds so not very suitable.

If u give me ur email i'll send you some pics of my coop n what i'll be doing..

Mo

xx
does a hen house/run need securing??

Started by poohpouri on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 12:13
by poultrygeist
xx
New Coop

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 07:44
by symonep
xx
Is this coop OK?

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:17
by hillbilly
xx
coop & run

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 15:13
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 36 queries.