Do foxes eat carrots?

• 7 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Do foxes eat carrots?
« on: October 28, 2011, 17:46 »
The reason I ask is that I went up my garden this afternoon and noticed that the carrot bed, which was covered with enviromesh supported by wire hoops, was now half uncovered, with little holes clawed (?) into the mesh which had been pulled out from under the pegs, and the hoops and foliage flattened by what was obviously quite a large animal.

Couldn't see any carrots missing, and as far as I know this is not badger or rabbit territory, although I have seen urban foxes round here several times.

Seems a strange choice of crop to go to all that trouble to uncover (it wasn't as if it had been fed with BFB or chicken poo either.)

Anyone else had attempted breaking and entering of their enviromeshed crops?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do foxes eat carrots?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 19:09 »
It happens quite a lot on my plot  :(
They don't seem to eat much stuff, they just trample the carrots down, or dig up newly planted onions and garlic or jump on the top of the debris netting over the winter cabbage (tearing the netting) which snapped some of the cabbage off their roots  >:( I had to take it off last year for the same reason.......each time I put it up - they trashed it!
Last week I covered a grass path with cardboard, so I could dig it up later, but they've trashed that as well, blimmin nuisances they are  :mad:

The old boys make crop covers from chicken wire to stop them  ::) and told me not to use chicken pellets or FB&B anymore...back to Growmore for me next year, to see if it makes any difference  :dry:

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 19:12 »
As far as I know they are carnivores, but have been known to disturb crops when looking for grubs and bugs etc. He may have got the scent of something just below the soil surface.
We have a family of them on our plots and although they do dig the odd hole, they rarely do any damage unless they decide to defacate on there.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 19:14 by Willie_Eckerslike »

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 19:41 »
Might be foxes, but I wouldn't discount squirrels as being able to cause that damage as they are pretty active at the minute here - don't know if they go for carrots though

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 22:07 »
I have had problems with squirrels digging up carrots, but only when they were much younger seedlings and not full grown vegetables.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 23:25 »
yeah.................we a bit of rabbit. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46 »
From my experience foxes will eat almost anything if they are hungry enough... gloves, rubber ties on fruit trees... almost anything is worth a chew or gnaw.

They will nose into and under anything that takes their interest. Last year they stuck their muzzles through two 3m long plastic covered cloches just to have a nose. I think they danced on them then nibbled!  :(

Cubs are often the worst as they are learning to hunt for food so anything different or new will take their interest.

Chicken Pellets attract the blighters like iron to a magnet.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11 »
Foxes are omnivores, just like dogs :)

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
foxes

Started by worzel gummidge on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 09:17
by corndolly
xx
Foxes...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 08:35
by poultrygeist
xx
Foxes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 08:58
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 38 queries.