whitefly infested brassicas

• 21 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Re: whitefly infested brassicas
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 18:35 »
I planted marigolds with some of my brassicas as an experiment for companion planting. Those brassicas that had the marigold companions were much less affected by whitefly than those planted without. Whitefly was still present, but no sooty stuff on the plants and no clouds of flys either.

Will certainly plant more marigolds next year.

Which type of marigolds, Nikki?

They were Dwarf French Marigolds, Double Mixed. Quite compact plants in between the cabbages, but lost among the sprouts. Might need to try a taller variety in the sprout bed.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

m1ckz

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 19:11 »
when will these dreaded things go away,,my coulies are well infested,they have a horrible slime over them,cut 2 an took home ant you know what,????? the wife  BINNED them,,so frustrating

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 19:34 »
We had whitefly in the tunnel which was rather annoying and the little beggars are now making themselves comfy all over my Christmas potatoes!  >:(. Gonna have to find a way to obliterate the blighters as I'm not having them infest my new tunnel.  This is war!   :tongue2:  :lol:
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 09:13 »
My cauliflowers and cabbages are covered in tiny white flies. They seem fine but they are an a real cloud when you knock into them. Any ideas about how to get rid?

Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:39 »
I've merged you post with this one, some useful advice in the thread ;)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 12:45 »
Thanks for the tip about the Marigolds - will definately try that next year. Still got white fly at the moment I was hoping the Frosts would kill them off - but it has been so mild - we have only had a couple of Frosts in Nottinghamshire and they have survived.

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 14:44 »
I tried marigolds and it didn't do any good.

I've also read that ladybirds don't attack whitefly because they're not aphids (I'll be interested to know if you have any success).

I reduced whitefly by knocking the plants and catching them with those yellow sticky sheets (you feel a idiot wafting them about,  but - what's new).

There's a parasitic wasp (Encarsia formosa) which is supposed to work in greenhouses (no help on the allotment) and the suggestion is to get rid of all brassicas over the winter - but I've got my spring cabbages in and they've already got whitefly (more yellow flapping)
 >:(

xx
Infested onions

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 21:06
by bazial
xx
composting infested produce??

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2019, 18:09
by Offwego
xx
Courgette roots infested

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 23:45
by Salmo
xx
Weed infested raspberries and rhubarb.

Started by operabunny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 21:44
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.878 seconds with 38 queries.