Maggot in hen poo

• 7 Replies

Raven81

Maggot in hen poo
« on: October 25, 2011, 17:51 »
Mr Raven fed the hens some left over fishing maggots the other day.  Today when cleaning the hen coop I found a whole maggot in the poo - I'm not sure if it was alive or not.  I know this was one of the ones Mr Raven gave them because I clean them daily and theres no chance it could have grown that big if it was a fly since yesterday.
I made sure Mr Raven gave them the maggots on the other side of the garden to the hen coop as I am terrified of flies and maggots (and maybe a little paranoid) and didn't want maggots turning into flies and laying more maggots in the hen run!!  For this reason (plus the fact it was 3ft from the floor) I know the maggot didn't just crawl from where he put them.
Any ideas?
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Sassy

Re: Maggot in hen poo
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:35 »
Could it have just got attached to the feathers and deposited in the coop?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47 »
Indeed it could have, I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks.  :D

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 14:46 »
Yea i would guess its one that got away!  It wouldnt do the hen any harm and is only intrested in eating dead things and poo any how.

Only reluctance i have is if they are the "couloured" maggots you can get as im not sure what it is they add to make them turn red...

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 15:21 »
Thanks both of you, I feel a bit foolish for not thinking of that myself!!

I have a real fear of maggots and flies so its a big relief to know it won't hurt the hens!

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 15:45 »
Yea i would guess its one that got away!  It wouldnt do the hen any harm and is only intrested in eating dead things and poo any how.

Only reluctance i have is if they are the "couloured" maggots you can get as im not sure what it is they add to make them turn red...

Lew

The dye on maggots is non toxic as they wouldn't be able to use it in a rivers etc; for fear of poisoning the fish and other wildlife.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:56 »
Thanks both of you, I feel a bit foolish for not thinking of that myself!!

I have a real fear of maggots and flies so its a big relief to know it won't hurt the hens!

UUUUrgh!! I hate maggots too. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08 »

Lew

The dye on maggots is non toxic as they wouldn't be able to use it in a rivers etc; for fear of poisoning the fish and other wildlife.

Good point!

xx
maggot things

Started by taximan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 18:24
by taximan

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 36 queries.