dumped kittens - am i doing the right things?

• 36 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: dumped kittens - am i doing the right things?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41 »
thanks raven.

but i'm thinking that their poos are too wet. the litter is sticking to their feet and they're walking it into the carpet. so far i've changed the litter daily (i don't really know how often you're supposed to do it) and its a branded litter so not a cheap one.

also, how often do they go? might help me gauge whether they're going too much and if i'm not imagining the poos being a little runny.

i hope i can find homes for them soon....i'm so worried about messing up!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

spottymint

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:45 »
Cat's are desert adapted, so rareley drink.

As Raven has said, drinking a lot can indicate kidney trouble & with wet food they are probably getting  enough moisture.

Post pic's please, our cat would love a kitten, O/H's not sure though., must admit, 3 cat's, scary.

Wet poo's could be their tummy is upset, one reason being a new type of food, let's face it, the owner didn't tell you what she was feeding them.

If she didn't care they probably had normal cat food & I guess you have "branded" kitten food ?

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15 »
to be honest spotty mint i'm just using tesco kitten food. and i'm feeding them 4 times a day.

do you think it would be wishful thinking to hope they get homed together?

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29 »
You are doing a brilliant job!

Around here you would have little problem re-homing them.

Perhaps an add in the local shops / paper with a price? You could ask for home address details of all who were interested and by making a charge it would show the buyers commitment.

Maybe also offering to buy-back if the kitten/s don't settle would be an added protection.

If my OH had come across them we would now be sharing the place with two kittens full-time. (I'll have to keep this thread very quiet) ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

maxyboo

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22 »
As others have said, cats drink relatively little. Their renal function is superb and if they have wet food they will drink even less. Are the CPL prepared to take them off your hands when they have a space? Are you actually on their waiting list? It would be easier for you if they were rehomed via CPL or a similar organisation as that would be one less worry. We often manage to rehome in pairs as people feel sorry for the one left behind, but obviously there is no guarantee of this. Make sure all friends and relatives know about the kittens and tell their friends etc.
Personally I'm not keen on Tesco food and have great trouble getting most cats to even look at it but the kittens are used to it and I know how expensive other foods can be. If you feel they have sloppy poo and want to try something else, please do it very gradually. Kittens do tend to go more often than adult cats. I would say 2 or 3 times a day. Are the poos actually formed when they come out? If so then I wouldn't worry. They do have a tendency to walk about in it at first but should grow out of it. I currently have 3, 9 week old kittens and change the tray morning and evening and there are always a few poos in there.
You mention letting them out when they have had their injections. Please don't forget that the initiial vaccination comes in 2 parts, about 3  weeks apart . They shouldn't go out before the course is completed. If you still have them by them they will have to be supervised anyway as they will not have been spayed. I think they can become pregnant at around 4 months but would not want to risk it myself.
I think perhaps you are worrying too much and I know how that feels. It sounds like you are doing a great job so keep your eyes open for problems but try and enjoy them too! They are a delight at this age.

Raven81

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 13:25 »
As previously mentioned, the wet poo is likely to be due to the change in food and should clear up in a couple of days.  It may be useful (if you can bear the smell) to take a poo sample with you to the vet to have a quick check, they should be able to tell by just looking at it.

If you spread sheets of newspaper out around the litter tray then hopefully the poo that sticks to their paws will come off on the newspaper, saving the carpet.  You will just need to check that they are not using the newspaper instead of the litter tray, which may happen, and if so we will think of something else!!  Cats are clean animals and will soon get the hang of not standing in it.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

spottymint

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 19:23 »
We often manage to rehome in pairs as people feel sorry for the one left behind,

Yeah, been there done that !

Doe's not matter which make the food is, if it's different to what they have been fed, it can make them runny.

Worms could cause runny poo, but the vet's I'm sure will worm them.

Pic's may help, some kind person here may home them  ::) , but the CP's will home check, not that that will stop all bad owners ( given time, novelty wears off ect).

evie2

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 20:58 »
Our 4 cats came from CPL :D 2 sets of siblings, one year apart :D  I'd never had cats because my parents didn't like them >:( couldn't imagine life without them :happy:

Thanks for giving these innocent wee creature a second chance Shetan  :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 21:03 »
Please don't post any pictures especially if theory are black/tabby girls. OH is broody for kittens and I am weakening!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

spottymint

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50 »
Please don't post any pictures especially if theory are black/tabby girls. OH is broody for kittens and I am weakening!

Problem solved shetan, get them pic's up quick !  :lol:

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31 »
hi everyone...thanks for all the positive posts.

i did think of worms and have been watching their tummies for excessive bloatedness. they're off to the vets this morning. i think one of the vet nurses is keen on having them. she's just lost her older cat to cancer. so we'll see.

i think they might be keeping them in today - well its the impression i got- because i mentioned they had crusty noses when i found them which might indicate a bout of cat flu.

i'm so tempted to keep them myself. they cry every night and i end up going to get them, putting them to sleep on my chest or hubby's and then putting them back. but i need to be realistic. the dogs were here first and it wouldn't be fair for shehra to spend the evenings under the table everytime the cats were in the room. plus there's the cost factor. i'm so sick of not having a job...it would make keeping them a no brainer :)

spottymint

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 19:09 »
How did the kitties get on ?

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 13:04 »
hey all,

just to let you know that i took the kittens to the vet and one of the vet nurses fell in love with them. she has taken them on with the view to keep them....so i'm very happy with the result.

i hope they'll live happily ever after.

evie2

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 13:12 »
That's great news :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 14:36 »
Must be a huge relief! Great news.

xx
New Kittens

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 08:35
by Pretty Chick
xx
Our new kittens.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 21:22
by Madame Cholet
xx
Kittens

Started by 22fox on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 13:16
by Caralou
xx
darling kittens . . . .

Started by evie2 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 18:27
by evie2

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 37 queries.