Wannabe Bantam Keeper - advice please

• 17 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Wannabe Bantam Keeper - advice please
« on: October 23, 2011, 16:23 »
Hello

I'd so love to keep a bantam or two free range in my garden.  I'd like them to freely roost and get up when they like in a fox proof kind of way.  I was inspired by a hen house I saw on 'River Cottage' years ago but can't find any reference to it now.

I'd love to talk to/meet anyone (I'm in Romsey Hants) who really knows their bantam stuff. I'd rather not have a coop - just a cleverly designed roost/nesting box.  Kept a silky bantam this way as a child with no problems and it was such a pleasure - but I may be in fox country now.

Kate
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Wannabe Bantam Keeper - advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 16:25 »
I have several birds that roost in trees, both bantams and large fowl however I really wouldn't recommend it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 17:06 »
I don't want them to roost in trees - Ill make a roosting box housed inside a shed.  I wonder if anyone else has done this?

neenyneen

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 15:38 »
What you describe above is a chicken coop,  a coop is where they sleep and lay their eggs and wont mean that they are not free range, where as my chucks are in a run and I let them out of there to free range when I am back from work and at weekends etc
love my chickens me! :-)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 16:30 »
Thank you

I want a high up 'door' where they freely enter to roost after then have climbed a hen friendly fox proof ladder.  Hoping 5 foot high is high enough to deter foxes.  Also if I have a small breed the the door can be small enough for bantams but not foxes....

I want to know they'll be OK if I'm away from home.

I'm also advised a plastic coop is better than wood regarding mites.

Kate

evie2

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 18:11 »
Is it the coop he had that was on a pole with a ladder for them to climb up?  I remember he had to train them to use the ladder to go in and out. 
We had this years chicks roosting in the damson trees, which are now rather bare of leaves so we put them in the coop at night much safer, they're beginning to get the message now. 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 18:41 »
Yes that was the one! I loved the idea of the hens being free and less hassle for me.  I'd like to devise a good plan, taking advice, and try it using my garden shed.

Have you had success with a similar scheme?

Kate

evie2

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 19:43 »
No, ours are in a regular coop, but with the chicks roosting and not going into the coop I was looking at dovecotes, which really aren't big enough or practical.  You could always try putting a coop on stilts/ table, would have to be very sturdy and secure though. 
Also, the coop has to be easy to clean out so it can't be as high as the one in the programme which if I remember rightly was very high, wonder how he cleaned it out ??? 

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 20:19 »
That's a good point!  One more television mystery. 

I'm hoping to go on a beginners chicken keeping course on Saturday - if they will just respond to my e-mails.....   The teacher will know about roosting high up and climbing ladders etc - I hope. 

Would still love to hear from anyone who has done something like this.

Kate

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 21:27 »
I have been to river cottage- they lay a ladder on the ground sp it is there when needed for cleaning out. They just sweep it out and replace...

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:09 »
Yes, but how far is it off the ground to be considered "fox proof"?  Even with a ladder, foxes are wiley, and they can climb quite well (I saw one climbing up a chain-link fence about 3 weeks ago!)

Another thing to think about is, if it is up high enough to be fox proof, then will it be considered an eyesore to the neighbours?  (I remember the one at River Cottage being in the middle of a sizable field)

Also, if you are putting the house up high, you will be limiting the type of hens you can get.  You will need either hybirds, or light breeds, as heavy breeds (such as orpingtons etc) couldn't handle a fall from such a height.  And finally, do you have the space, because if the house is up high, your hens may flutter out of it on a morning, rather than use the ladder, and they glide at around 45degrees, so the higher the house the more ground space you will need to make sure they stay put ;)

I'm not trying to put you off, just give you a few things to think about :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57 »
Thank you - they are all good points.

I have a shed and the plan is to make a bantam sized hole high up in the door - about t 5' high.  Inside the door at the same height will be the equivalent of a coop - only higher up - I'll wall-mount it.

The ladder will be lightweight with seperate rungs rather than a ramp so a fox couldn't grip and climb. It will lock into position each time I close the door and should be sturdy if broad at the bottom.

I know the hens will have to be trained to go in there but it should be warm, dry, draughtproof and easy to clean out. 

My garden is enclosed by fences and a wall but I know more fox proofing is required.  One concern is sparrowhawks - had one here recently - if I choose a small breed.

Any comments welcome as I'm really hoping this can work.  I won't make a start until I'm pretty confident.

Kate

evie2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 16:02 »
I would suggest foxes can climb a rung ladder, our dogs and cats certainly could/can and I can't see that foxes would be any different, sorry :(  However if the coop will be inside a shed I'm not sure what the problem would be :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 17:26 »
Thank you - that's encouraging!  If the 'door' is tiny enough for a bantam - surely its will be too small for a foxes head......? Wonder what the diameter of that is!

Kate

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 17:41 »
Thank you Wikipedia!

Adult dog-foxes have skulls measuring 129–167 mm, while those of vixens measure 128–159 mm.

...so if my little bantams can squeeze through a smaller door than that to roost can I assume they are safe at night?

Kate

xx
advice for a new keeper

Started by MY-Five-gals on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 21:49
by GrannieAnnie
question
Advice for a soon to be hen keeper...

Started by ActionFlack on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 18:21
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken keeper - advice please

Started by Jamrock on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 09:29
by ANHBUC
xx
Advice for a future chuck keeper

Started by doodles11 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 17:33
by joyfull

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.