A tonne of straw

• 7 Replies

timdunn

A tonne of straw
« on: October 22, 2011, 21:41 »
Hello,

I have a huge bale of straw, probably about a tonne, which is far more than I need to protect carrots, celeriac and artichokes this winter. I'm thinking about digging the majority into a 25x25m plot and was wondering if this was wise.  I have a clay loam soil which is a bit lacking in organic matter.

Any advice folks?

Thanks!

Tim

Trillium

Re: A tonne of straw
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 21:46 »
You might find the digging in difficult due to the varying lengths of the straw pieces. If you have any sort of a shredder, it would be good to pass most of the straw through that and then dig it in. Otherwise, I'd recommend you use it as layers for composting which will help break it down quickly.

I too have clay soil and wouldn't add 'fresh' straw to it unless it was chipped/shredded first. Rotovating won't help either as the straw will only tangle in the tines.

timdunn

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46 »
Thanks for the very useful reply Trillium.
Time to borrow the neighbours shredder!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 16:52 »
I think I saw on a gardening program that if you spread it out on grass you can run a lawn mower over it,but I suppose it would need to be a petrol mower. It might be less time consuming though.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 18:20 »
I wish you lived near me -- I would gladly take in your straw as duck bedding and give it back suitably enriched by them all ready for composting,
I use about 25 small bales a year this way and it makes lovely compost mixed with the usual kitchen and garden waste.
R

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 19:20 »
I think I saw on a gardening program that if you spread it out on grass you can run a lawn mower over it,but I suppose it would need to be a petrol mower. It might be less time consuming though.

Some straw landed on my lawn and when I went over it with the petrol mower, it merely wound around the main shaft  >:(. If the straw gets wet, its even worse - nothing short of a very sharp knife will unbind it.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 20:20 »
You should not add  fresh straw to your soil. The subsequent rotting down process will rob your plants of nitrogen during the next year.

Either put it to one side for about 2 years for it to rot or, better, put it to one side and layer it into your compost heap. This will provide the brown element so you can beg all the green stuff from your neighbours such as brassica waste and grass mowings.

If you use some of the straw as a mulch between your rows it will rot down ready to be dug in next year.

SkipRat

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 23:43 »
Another method is to ermmmmm enrich it with errrrr urine which is virtually nitrogen and will speed up the decomposing process........ ::) ::) ::)

Just realized you,ve got a ton to rot down, maybe its time to invite your site plothoders to errr a pea pot party     :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 23:46 by SkipRat »
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
Tonne Bag composter

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 00:29
by mkhenry
xx
1 tonne Garden pests!!!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 15:50
by Trillium
xx
Straw

Started by Schubunny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 16:01
by Trillium
xx
Straw

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:40
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 36 queries.