do 7 week old chicks have a pecking order??

• 2 Replies

nic n dave

do 7 week old chicks have a pecking order??
« on: October 22, 2011, 18:27 »
hi when my chciks first hatched one of my leghorns had splayed legs so i removed her from the others to give it a fighting chance and i also removed my black silkie chick with it as mummy hen was atacking it and stamping on it, i assume because it was the runt of the litter as they say so i put them 2 in my house for a while them into a rabbit hutch and today ive put mummy hen back into the flock with the other hens and put the 2 separated chciks in with the other chicks in another coop well......the leghorn is fine its the biggest chick out the lot considering it was the one with splayed legs and the black sickie is getting attacked but the white silkie chicks, its screaming in pain and the leghorn comes to its resuce and they back off for a bit but then at any given oppotunity they are back on it hurting it. is this normal do they having pecking orders? if so why are they not doing it to the leghorn ive put in aswell?

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: do 7 week old chicks have a pecking order??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 18:33 »
Yes its normal.  They are just instinctivley producing a pecking order.  As for them no going at the big one... hes big and has put them in their place pretty damn quick!

Leave them to it and they will get it sorted.

nic n dave

Re: do 7 week old chicks have a pecking order??
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 18:41 »
ive never heard screeching like it the poor little chick, its been our favorite since hatching as it was the smallest and the only black silkie to hatch the others never hatched :( i have another leghorn already in with the white silkies and even that one isnt bothered by the new leghorn and they are about the same size and its not attacking the black silkie. it just seems like the white silkies are the mean ones :(

xx
The Pecking Order!!!

Started by hazelize_uk on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 22:20
by babe
xx
Top of the pecking order?

Started by Elly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 15:42
by Elly
xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Pecking order

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:13
by henrietta5

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.