Doomed Fennel?

• 12 Replies

tonel

Doomed Fennel?
« on: October 19, 2011, 17:49 »
Hi all, wondering if I could get some advice about Florence fennel - I have some growing on the plot, they're still quite small ('bulbs' seem to be starting to form) but am worried as it's gotten colder last few days (down to around 5 deg overnight). Basically wondering how hardy they are (if at all) and wether they are likely to be wiped out by anything resembling a frost? They seem to be doing well and would be a shame to lose them before they are big enough to eat. Any advice gratefully received (as always!) :)

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Doomed Fennel?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 19:15 »
They are badly affected by frost. Your only hope would be to provide cloche protection.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 19:30 »
They seem to take a lot longer growing period than I ever imagined. I sowed some in early July in the polytunnel and whilst they look fine and healthy, no bulbs have yet formed

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 20:40 »
I think if you cut the ferny top down and cloche them they will stand in the ground for a week or two.

I am going to dig mine up, trim them off and store them in the fridge drawer  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tonel

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 20:58 »
Hmm, doesn't sound good - suspected they would be vunerable to the cold. Won't get a chance to get out to the allotment until the weekend, hopefully if they survive till then I'll try and give them some cover and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice :)

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 21:50 »
Fennel should be able to withstand a light frost.  I still have 2 bulbs in the ground and have covered them with fleece.  So I'd recommend doing the same.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 16:30 »
Well done Tonel!
Each time I try to grow Fennel the little devils bolt.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 18:07 »
Fennel should be able to withstand a light frost.  I still have 2 bulbs in the ground and have covered them with fleece.  So I'd recommend doing the same.

I didn't have time to harvest them so have added a layer of debris netting and hope they manage for another week while we are away  :unsure: :unsure:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 21:52 »
Mine were in the polytunnel and still no trace of bulbs so I pulled them out this afternoon and resolved to sow them much earlier next year

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47 »
I thought I'd mastered the art of Florence Fennel growing last year by sowing late, but this year's prettily flowering ( :mad:) specimens suggest that last year they were merely killed by the frosts before they got the chance to bolt.  ::)

I haven't given up yet - looking at the Real Seed company's website I see "Colossal" and "Mantovano" varieties which they suggest are more bolt-resistant.

Has anyone tried these (or any others they can recommend?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43 »
We're Doomed Captain Mannering... doomed!

hmmm Start off early (March) in peat pots + Long warm summer PLUS plenty of water NEVER let them dry out.

Its always hit and miss on my part as I just dont have the time to devote to fennel to ensure it swells up nicely. Last year nice "bulbs" this year zilch. Mind you the foliage was used so all was not lost sigh ....  always next year.
Death OR Cake ???

tonel

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 14:14 »
Made it out to the allotment yesterday to check on the fennel only to find that something had come along and pulled most of them out of the ground, then just dropped them there - hadn't even eaten them. Prime suspects are a large group of geese who roam around nearby (our allotment is out of town, lots of fields and a pond nearby). Have to admit I wasn't impressed, they had been doing well, no bolting and just starting to bulb up :(

Managed to stick some plastic bell cloches over a few of the strongest looking survivors, hopefully they will make it (and hopefully goose-proof now!)

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 18:33 »
Never grown Florence fennel before, so I set my seeds (Di Firenzo) on 26 July in my cold frame then planted out on 25 August. They are just becoming ready for use, we have eaten one about the size of a lemon ( beautifull). They are in open ground with no shelter other than a row of swiss chard at the side of them and there is no sign of them bolting. Will be picking some more tomorrow.

Malcolm
PS we had a slight frost on thursday morning, didn't touch them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 18:36 by Malturn »
The worm that turned

xx
Are my potatoes doomed?

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 19:35
by themoog
xx
Are my Cucumber Seedlings Doomed?

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 16:03
by Paul Plots
xx
are my courgettes totally doomed?

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 21:19
by sunshineband
xx
fennel

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 17:01
by shirazcat

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 37 queries.