different sized carrots

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

different sized carrots
« on: October 18, 2011, 23:18 »
I sowed late carrots back in July and tried pulling a few today. They are in a raised bed and on one side the carrots are fine for eating (plumped up and about 3" long), the other side they're miniscule!!!
I did 3 types, Giant Red are great, Sugarsnax on one side are great but the other Sugarsnax and Autumn King haven't grown more than a centimetre. All the foliage is the same. I'm very disappointed with the Autumn King.
I didn't thin and perhaps one side is more congested than the other.......
They are also very dry. Should I have been watering more? Could the drainage be better on one side or something? Would a good water help? We're quite sheltered here....will they keep growing?
I haven't got fly because they're under netting and I think late plantings tend to get away with it anyway but the surprise was no slug damage either! The earth was probably too dry and scratchy for them.
So the larger carrots were absolutely perfect which I have never achieved before.
I shall definitely do a late planting again but it would be interesting to know your thoughts on the failures.........

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: different sized carrots
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 23:45 »
Lack of thinning and lack of water....  Carrots dont need a lot of room but to get a decent one you must thin.  I dont pull out the thinnings its too fiddly, i just go along the row with a pair of scissors and snip off the tops to thin out (i do this early so I dont get any fingerlings)
Carrots need plenty of water but naturally dont overdo it.
I grow mine in two 9'x3'x18" raised beds with 50% sand, 30% compost and 20% fine topsoil.
Plenty of FBB and fed regularly with Maxicrop seaweed liquid feed.  I regularly get top quality carrots.  BTW I always grow under Enviromesh to keep off the fly...... Hope that helps
Death OR Cake ???

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 00:01 »
I give them fbb and my compost when planting but I always thought you didn't water or feed carrots too much because then they grow down to get moisture.
Learn something every day......

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 00:27 »
I'd say lack of water too. It's not been the best of years has it?  :mellow:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 15:55 »
I think you will find that most times you don't need to water when planted into the ground but in raised beds you are starting well above the water level in the soil, so you need to water untill the root can get down into the ground soil.

Having said that, I wouldn't have expected such a big difference in growth in the same bed.

You can sometimes get a big difference between carrots in the same row, so maybe its a germination problem but then the top growth wouldn't be the same.

Sorry not much help, we'll have to wait untill somone with more knowledge comes along.

xx
Marrow sized Courgette

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 23:33
by gobs
xx
Pencil sized leeks.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2022, 13:30
by Hampshire Hog
xx
NOT an industrial sized compost heap...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 19:57
by Growster...
xx
Industrial sized compost heap...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 20:24
by Growster...

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 36 queries.