Re-planting raspberry canes

• 5 Replies

Hose A

• The Acropolis?? A' divvent thinkso hinney!
Re-planting raspberry canes
« on: October 17, 2011, 20:36 »
Hi all,

when i took over my plot earlier this year I inherited some raspberry plants, these have just sprung up wild from the roots from my neighbours lottie, there appears to be about 6 to 8 reasonable clumps of canes in an area of approx 3 foot square, has anyone got any advice on digging up and re-planting in rows? I'm really worried about killing them if i severe the root system, is this a good time of year to do it? I would hate to loose them after such a great crop this spring.

Cheers

Trillium

Re: Re-planting raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 20:39 »
When you're sure the plant is fully dormant (no leaves), you can dig up the clump, wash off the soil, then decide how to divide. Plant back immediately as the roots can dry out fast and die on you.

Have the new planting area ready with some rotted manure and bone meal, and free of weeds. Water the transplants well, then let nature take over watering.

becs

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 20:40 »
Hose A,
I have a similar dilemma, mine are in my back garden and need to be moved to my allotment,

will be interested in your replies!

Becs
Becs xx

Hose A

• The Acropolis?? A' divvent thinkso hinney!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 21:38 »
Thanks Trillium, that's prevented a disaster as I had planned on doing the job this weekend and would have just steamed in and they still have some fruit on them, great advice...... I'm lovin' this site.

cheers

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 22:44 »
I moved 12 rapsberries from my garden to my allotment in January - 11 survived and produced fruit.
They were watered in well, but I guess from Trilliums answer that I should have been faster in re-planting as I did not take them to the plot till the next day.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:08 »
I moved 12 rapsberries from my garden to my allotment in January - 11 survived and produced fruit.
They were watered in well, but I guess from Trilliums answer that I should have been faster in re-planting as I did not take them to the plot till the next day.

Elaine

If they were dormant and you didn't leave them somewhere too warm they should have managed a day without to much harm. Suppliers post them and they seem to survive.

11 out of 12 is not bad going.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Planting raspberry canes

Started by imarr17 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 19:00
by imarr17
xx
Planting raspberry canes now?

Started by Moonshine132435 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 07:24
by Headgardener22
xx
planting raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 15:45
by stephent
xx
Planting Raspberry Canes

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 09:52
by zazen999

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 37 queries.