need some inspiration

• 12 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

need some inspiration
« on: October 17, 2011, 19:23 »
I'm stuck in a rut - have 3 very hungry boys that need feeding when I get in from work, about 6pm, but before they go out at 7, and a OH who doesn't usually get in until 9pm every night so food for him needs to be microwaveable or cookable very quickly from scratch. BTW - I try to be gluten free, so often have something completely different to everyone else plus trying to lose weight  ::)
Usual menu has run like this, but now tired & bored
M Slow cooker mince chilli or bolognese
T Sunday roast in a pie - either beef caserole or chicken  made with ready made puff
W Bacon, eggs & Beans
Th Veg pasta or chill
Fri Paella or fish pie (which they hate), or if in a rush, fishfingers or breaded fish & oven chips
Sat HM pizza or Chinese (HM)
Sun roast

Need to save money and cut down on meat - any ideas for a cash=strapped, time strapped mum?

Springlands

Re: need some inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 19:30 »
Janey - I have been feeling as if I am also in a rut recently - was looking at the T*sc* website and came across their Real Food area - lots of different ideas - some healthy, some budget and obviously you do not have to shop there to use the ideas (although must admit I use their on-line shopping service).

Anyway I ended up cooking one of their recipes tonight - beef enchiladas - went down well with OH - was simple to make and tasted good.

The BBC food site is also good for ideas.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 19:31 »
Winter salads like coleslaw, Waldorf etc.

Mostly pretty cheap, and very filling. We live on the stuff, and just this evening found we had 10 veg in front of us, albeit some in very small quantities!

Baked potatoes as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 19:43 »
I often make casseroles with a lot of veg to bulk out the meat (usually beef or chicken by preference but need not be e.g. pork with apricots).

Then freeze the portions.  It doesn't take long to bung the plastic tray in the m'wave for a couple of minutes to make the lid less brittle before removing it, then take the contents (still pretty frozen) and reheat them in the saucepan thoroughly.  (Haven't poisoned myself yet in many many years!).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 22:59 »
I picked up that leaflet and did one of the recipes. The one for fusili and pumpkin. Lovely it was too  :) (page 24)

The recipe ideas on the Philadelphia light are good. I've done quite a few of those and they seem to go down well

Our lot enjoy either a good quality burger or a chicken fillet griddled, chopped and put into a toasted pitta bread with salad. Mayo or Caesar salad dressing drizzled on the salad

woodavon

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 22:13 »
Rissotos and stir fries can be varied to be veggie or use up bits of chicken etc.  Kedgeree too.  And we like D*l*a's  rissoles for left over beef or lamb.

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 23:18 »
Macaronni cheese  -  can be made cheaper with a packet sauce mix with some extra cheese added, served with a salad.
Corned beef hash, with a side of baked beans.
If you cook extra potatoes when making the hash, use them with onions, cooked leftover veg and add 6 eggs to make a large tortilla type omlette.  Eat hot or cold and nice for a packed lunch with salad (if theres any leftover)

Both can be re heated in the microwave for the OH later on

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05 »
There's no sign of a curry  :unsure: I make mine with very little meat and a lot of veg. Sometimes I use the dry soya mince that you rehydrate (it's very cheap) instead of meat- by the time it's in the curry - no-one notices  :D

How about old fashioned shepherd's/cottage pie..padded out with value baked beans, or lentils in the filling.

Sausage and mash?

stompy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31 »
We make spag-bol very cheap.

3 mugs of penne pasta (we use penne as it's less messy for the kids) 20p
Im sure you know how to boil pasta  ;)

Sauce

1 tbsp olive oil. 10p
1 can of chopped toms. (cheap one on offer 30p)
1/2 an onion finely chopped. 20p
A handfull of mushrooms chopped to your prefered size (i have big hands). 30p
2 cloves of garlic or to taste 5p
1 tsp of mixed herbs 5p
250g of mince. £1.80

Lightly soften the onion and garlic in a tbsp of olive oil,
Add the mince and mushrooms and fry untill lightly brown,
Add the toms and bring to a simmer ,
Add the herbs and mix into the sauce.

Plate up the pasta and serve the sauce in the midle of the pasta, then drizzle some more olive oil around the pasta that has no sauce on it.

We worked it out to cost around £3.00 for 4 of us (2 adult and 2 kids)
And there is usually enough for the 2 kids a second helping the next day or for me for my tea.

It will work out alot cheaper if your using your own home made tomatoe sauce/garlic onions and herbs.

My OH makes the best Spag-bol in our house but thats a different recipe (it's a secret) but thats how i make it  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54 »
I use very little mince now in our spag bol. I just use a little of the Aberdeen Angus as it's full of flavour, but use much less and bulk it out with mushrooms.  My carnivores haven't twigged it yet

stompy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02 »
I use very little mince now in our spag

bulk it out with mushrooms

We used to use 500g of mince and now do the same with the mushrooms as you do CQ.

Debz

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23 »
My husband made this Provencal Beef recipe in the slow cooker last week.  You could always put in more veg and we served it with mash potato and brussel sprouts.  It's done in the slow cooker and it was beautiful.

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=7012832

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 13:44 »
Thanks all, I'll try to devise a different menu. I think I just need to get organised  :D

xx
red cabbage - need new inspiration

Started by jennyb on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 22:11
by noshed
xx
Chicken Breast inspiration please

Started by Parsnip on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 17:52
by Yabba
xx
Inspiration for chicken thighs please.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 10:07
by Springlands

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.