Who leaves their chickens out during the day?

• 19 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Re: Who leaves their chickens out during the day?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03 »
I was looking into the range for a baby monitor - my friend thinks I'm loopy!  :D
But as Carla says, it only takes a split second......
BG

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 13:07 »
 :ohmy: :ohmy: WHAT DID I SAY!!!!! Just heard a commotion from outside, ran out to find the fox chasing my girls. It wasnt phased by me running out...it was totally focused on getting a chicken. The dog chased it off, but it was so brave. I know he'll be back. I'm now re-homing my big 2 girls and keeping my 2 remaining ex-batts in the little run during the day. I'll secure the big run somehow in the spring, and start again. Please see the free to a good home page if you want a bluebell and a speckeldy. Gutted. :(
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 14:00 »
My girls are out in a 100+sqm pen from when I let them out until they go to bed.  So while it's not free ranging, they do have almost 10sqm each.

However I am aware that my boundries aren't secure because they are mainly hedging with mesh fencing at the very bottom, but if my cats can come and go, a fox or marten can also come and go.  However that is the risk I take to give my girls that amount of freedom.

On a weekend, they get to range the whole garden (almost 400sqm), even when I'm out.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 15:49 »
Mine free ranged with no problem for 1 1/2 years then just by luck we heard a different alarm call I went out and there was a fox within feet! So they were shut in the garage with lots of straw and we fenced of a large area and ran an electric wire all round they stay in there during the day and then they are let out when I am around. I know the fox has tested the wire so hopefully this will keep him at bay :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 00:23 »
:ohmy: :ohmy: WHAT DID I SAY!!!!! Just heard a commotion from outside, ran out to find the fox chasing my girls. It wasnt phased by me running out...it was totally focused on getting a chicken. The dog chased it off, but it was so brave. I know he'll be back. I'm now re-homing my big 2 girls and keeping my 2 remaining ex-batts in the little run during the day. I'll secure the big run somehow in the spring, and start again. Please see the free to a good home page if you want a bluebell and a speckeldy. Gutted. :(

Oh carla, that's awful!  :ohmy:  But of course it could have been worse. :( Just as well you and your dog were home to sort things out!

xx
Chickens and Rhubarb leaves

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 19:25
by feelingbroody
xx
Vine leaves for Chickens?

Started by Julias hens on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 18:55
by joyfull
xx
chickens eating rhubarb leaves

Started by mooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 21:03
by chicken soup
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 37 queries.