Dithering about tomato plants

• 4 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Dithering about tomato plants
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:00 »
Looking at the forecast for this week, it looks like overnight temps are set to drop off quite sharply, down to about 3 for this area. I was going to leave my tom plants (in pots on a sheltered patio) for a week or two longer, because there's still quite a bit of fruit on there that's been ripening off nicely in the last week or so, but now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea. I could ripen them on a windowsill but I never think they taste so nice when you do that and sometimes they go a bit mummified. I only really have time to do gardening stuff at the weekends, so I can't change my mind during the week.

Anyone else still have tom plants outside, or have you all taken them down? My new polytunnel is now up, so another option would be to pick the plants up and stick them in there.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dithering about tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15 »
You could put them in the polytunnel, but if it gets really frosty they won't even be safe in there.

Ideally toms like to be kept with a minimum of 10C.

I think I'd pick all the ones that have started to ripen a bit to finish off indoors, as these are the ones most likely to ripen succesfully, and keep fingers crossed for the others in the poly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20 »
Agree with Mum (even if the plants aren't killed outright the fruits are much more likely to split if subjected to wide variations in temperature and/or rainfall.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 23:10 »
I have picked all my green outdoor tomatoes today in the garden.  The ones at the allotment are in a greenhouse
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 00:01 »
Tomatoes, french beans, sweet corn all had their leaves frosted over the weekend on our allotment. Ice on windscreen 8 o'clock Saturday morning.

Put them in your polytunnel, or cut the trusses and hang them in there.

xx
I'm still dithering

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 21:14
by nilsatis1964
xx
Butternut Squash - dithering over whether to harvest

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 09:53
by strangerachael
xx
tomato plants

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 10:00
by mum of 3
xx
Where to buy tomato plants?

Started by Rita Craft on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 17:19
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 38 queries.