Rats - Grrrr!

• 7 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Rats - Grrrr!
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:10 »
I'm so not happy.....

I don't even have my new girls yet (but invested far too heavily to go back now) and I've just noticed evidence of rats in two places in my garden. One where the little blighter has dug up an area of my veg patch (might be something to do with burying kitchen compost where my beans are going next year??) and another where there's a large rat hole in the flower bed some 10-12 feet from the veg patch, going under some perennials. I've had an open compost heap for years and haven't seen this problem before. There must be some "rat intel" going round  alerting them to imminent arrival of chooks!

Any ideas how I can address this? I have 2 cats so am reluctant to use poison in case they get poisoned (I don't think they'd eat a rat, but would go for a dead mouse without question).

Thanks. BG

chloe

• Experienced Member
Re: Rats - Grrrr!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 18:50 »
We had the same problem with rats, you could try rat traps?

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 21:36 »

Can you recommend any particular type? I've seen the sort with jagged teeth - but I haven't had any success with the equivalent mouse one.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/reuseable-trap-p-806.html?cPath=24_25_144

Have to say, I don't relish the thought of disposing of a fat juicy rat from one of these - but then the consequences for the cats or chooks is even worse.

Has anyone heard of eradibait?
http://www.eradibait.com/
It claims there's no danger to pets if they eat the dead rat/mouse. Something to do with a unique digestive system and mode of operation............

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks. BG

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 21:45 »
We have a problem with rats in the loft.  They come in in the winter.  I feel sorry for them cause I guess they are just cold.  But, they run up there and make a mess so they have to go.  We find they avoid both the live and snap traps and only bait does it.  We put down two different types where other animals can't get it.  It's horrible but there is no other way  :( We keep all the chicken food in over night to prevent any interest in their house.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 22:48 »
Thanks Nicki85.

In your loft? Ugh. I have (?had?) mice between my bedroom ceiling and flat roof, but can't imagine rats. Worst thing is they keep me awake with their gnawing and scurrying. Caught a couple of blighters this week so I hope that's it - useless cats! It's probably them that brought the mice in in the first place! So doubly useless that they didn't kill them!!!

Aren't you worried that baited rats/mice might get eaten by your other animals? Is it the sort of bait where they run away and die somewhere else?
And are you saying rats are only interested in chooks if their food is lying around? That makes me feel a bit better.

aggers

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 23:33 »
Rats are rats,If they find a food source they will continue to return.They may always be around but you can limit their visits by regulating feeds for your hens.We feed in the morning,enough so it all gets eaten,and again early evening,thus leaving nothing leaving their visit fruitless.Once they realize theres nothing to be had,hopefully they will move on.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 23:49 »
eradibait is a rat poison that doesn't affect other animals

http://www.eradibait.com/
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 23:51 »
Yes they do make a lot of noise scurrying around!  In my experience the baited rats tend to go crawl off somewhere to die.  One died trapped in the wall which was lovely  :mad:  I guess there is always a risk though and I haven't looked into the toxicity of a secondary posining but would assume a dog or cat would have to eat numerous posined animals to cause a problem.  Probably best to ask the bait companies direct.

As far as I am aware the rats should only be interested in the chicken food.  And possibily the eggs if you leave them for a while  :ohmy:  

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
RATS

Started by virgotiger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 16:15
by Sassy
xx
Rats!!!

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2018, 22:07
by grinling
xx
Rats...

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 21:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 30 queries.