Porridge

• 4 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Porridge
« on: October 14, 2011, 18:24 »
How stiff or sloppy should the porridge be when its cooled down please?
Also as I have some left over chick crumbs, would it be ok to mix these in the the porridge oats after I've cooked the p oats? Mainly though what consistancy should it be? Thanks
OH and how hot can they take it. I don't want them to burn their mouths!!!  ???

pammie

Re: Porridge
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi, I give my chickens porridge too but not every day just occassionally.  Mine is normal consistency same as I eat. Not too hot though just warm.  I sometimes mix feed in with it too, so your crumbs should be ok.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 00:45 »
I make a stew of pellets every couple of days because they love the different texture and munch it up! I can add any supplements and wormer to it. I could add porridge, brown rice etc but it's a good way of getting in the pellets they need to lay so I save the oats for small treats along with cooked rice, corn, worms, sunflower seeds etc

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 00:55 »
Anndee, do your chick crumbs have any kind of mediation in them (e.g. for coccidiosis)?  If so, they shouldn't be fed to laying hens because the meds aren't suitable for human consumption.  BUT if your chickens aren't laying (and you're sure they won't lay within a couple of weeks of eating the crumbs) then it won't do them any harm.

When I feed my chickens anything porridge-textured (e.g. a mash) I have to stand back because they
a) shake their heads and spray it everywhere, and
b) try to wipe their naughty little beaks on my trouser legs!  >:(

I was complaining about this the other day and a friend says she feeds her mash with extra water, and they 'drink' it.  So they dip their beaks in then throw their heads back like they were drinking water.  Much less messy than mine!

So basically you can feed the porridge/mash whatever texture suits you.  Watch your chickens and see what they do with it, and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 18:44 »
Do ensure your porridge is made with water, not milk, and with no salt or sugar. Agree consistency does not matter. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Porridge

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:04
by Floramac
xx
porridge

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 18:32
by ness
xx
Porridge?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 14, 2016, 21:00
by Paul Plots
xx
porridge for chickens

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 23:24
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 36 queries.